spidey

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently no one else was either...

396749[/snapback]

Sometimes events just coincide. If it's true everyone lived, that is good news. Even if they didn't, we weren't in the cockpit.

Most commercial aviation events (I did not say accidents) this day and age are caused by a complex combination of events. This occurred a few hours ago. Maybe everyone can wait a day or two to blame the pilot they don't know the first thing about.

I wholly realize you are being your devil's advocate true dick self, but people were taking you seriously on the Losman thread too.

That doesn't explain why it would land. Send it to Buffalo in that case.

396641[/snapback]

Does Buffalo even have a runway long enough to land a widebody, and to get it back in the air (that is key, obviously, unless they want to drive the plane back to Toronto)? I know some DC-10s are able to land and take off on shorter runways, but I'm not sure about the others.

Sometimes events just coincide. If it's true everyone lived, that is good news. Even if they didn't, we weren't in the cockpit.

Most commercial aviation events (I did not say accidents) this day and age are caused by a complex combination of events. This occurred a few hours ago. Maybe everyone can wait a day or two to blame the pilot they don't know the first thing about.

I wholly realize you are being your devil's advocate true dick self, but people were taking you seriously on the Losman thread too.

396765[/snapback]

I WAS being serious on the Losman thread...except to the pinhead that started making fag jokes, he didn't deserve serious consideration.

But even if the causes of airliner crashes are complex, the predicate events are often simple (e.g. the November 2001 Airbus crash in NYC, cause by over-aggressive rudder commands). In this case, given the plane was by all appearances on the ground already and ran off the runway, the gross reasons for the event become fairly simple: the plane overshot, was going to fast, didn't brake rapidly enough, or "pilot error" (i.e. the weren't paying attention). Environmental factors might exacerbate any of those (an unexpected headwind might cause the plane to touchdown too late, for example), but that's pretty much all that can cause a plane to run off the end of the runway: too fast, too high, bad brakes, or asleep at the wheel.

I WAS being serious on the Losman thread...except to the pinhead that started making fag jokes, he didn't deserve serious consideration.

But even if the causes of airliner crashes are complex, the predicate events are often simple (e.g. the November 2001 Airbus crash in NYC, cause by over-aggressive rudder commands).  In this case, given the plane was by all appearances on the ground already and ran off the runway, the gross reasons for the event become fairly simple: the plane overshot, was going to fast, didn't brake rapidly enough, or "pilot error" (i.e. the weren't paying attention).  Environmental factors might exacerbate any of those (an unexpected headwind might cause the plane to touchdown too late, for example), but that's pretty much all that can cause a plane to run off the end of the runway: too fast, too high, bad brakes, or asleep at the wheel.

396798[/snapback]

I wasn't flying the airplane.

Does Buffalo even have a runway long enough to land a widebody, and to get it back in the air (that is key, obviously, unless they want to drive the plane back to Toronto)?  I know some DC-10s are able to land and take off on shorter runways, but I'm not sure about the others.

396780[/snapback]

In an emergency. I remember watching Air Force 1 doing touch-and-gos practicing for a presidential visit, Carter or Reagan.

According to Cathay Pacific, the A340-300 requires a 9000 foot runway for takeoff an a 6000 foot runway for landing. Buffalo International's runway lengths are 8000 and 7000 feet...you might be able to land one (I don't know how much I trust the Cathay Pacific manual), but I don't think you're flying one out that's not empty.

But even if the causes of airliner crashes are complex, the predicate events are often simple (e.g. the November 2001 Airbus crash in NYC, cause by over-aggressive rudder commands).  In this case, given the plane was by all appearances on the ground already and ran off the runway, the gross reasons for the event become fairly simple: the plane overshot, was going to fast, didn't brake rapidly enough, or "pilot error" (i.e. the weren't paying attention).  Environmental factors might exacerbate any of those (an unexpected headwind might cause the plane to touchdown too late, for example), but that's pretty much all that can cause a plane to run off the end of the runway: too fast, too high, bad brakes, or asleep at the wheel.

396798[/snapback]

There are reports of a potential lightning strike, which could knock out the systems, including brakes. Passengers have reported the cabin lights going off before landing. Other witnesses have said the plane was on fire before it crashed...There will be many things to piece together for sure in coming days, but pilot error or no you can credit a heads-up crew for saving a lot of lives today.

An absolute miracle.

No one killed, I've heard up to 43 injuries, including some broken arms and legs.

I don't think we can speculate on pilot error yet, but it's obvious that the flight crew did one hell of a job getting everybody off the burning plane in about 90 seconds.

Mike