UB...always one step forward, two steps back

Bob Dicesare is right on the money with this column about former UB football player Mike Radon who is being charged for classes during the semester AFTER giving back his scholarship. I guess UB is too busy to foresee the bad publicity they would get if this story hit the newspaper. What a bush league move. :)

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20050726/1016989.asp

Never mind, apparently, that if Radon planned to take those courses he wouldn't have turned in his scholarship. Why would he have attended classes for a fee when he could have taken them for free? Maybe it's just me. But when an athlete asks out of his scholarship and puts in a transfer request, I'm thinking that means he's not coming back.

I knew someone who rescinded a scholarship and did a transfer for swimming and stayed for the spring semester, to start with the new uni the next fall. Don't ask me why, but pro'ly an issue with the coach. Depends what UB has for a registration system. If you have to manually disenroll from classes on a PeopleSoft system (I had to when I took a leave of abscence; takes all of 3 minutes) or whatever UB has, it's a stupid mistake by him. He expected the administration to hold his hand and drop his classes for him?

Bob Dicesare is right on the money with this column about former UB football player Mike Radon who is being charged for classes during the semester AFTER giving back his scholarship.  I guess UB is too busy to foresee the bad publicity they would get if this story hit the newspaper.  What a bush league move. :)

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20050726/1016989.asp

390802[/snapback]

I totally disagree and sent Dicesare an email saying so. This is not a sports department issue, IMO. It's every student's (that includes athletes, too) responsibility to make sure they leave school properly.

From the sound of the article, the kid knew he was registered for the Fall semister. Just because some AD flunky "walked him through the process" doesn't mean the kid was off the hook...he was ultimately resonsible for notifying the registar's office that he was leaving (not the financial aid dept. responsible for schlorships).

Decesare is typical BN BS. He laments that MAC schools will point to this incidence as a means of disuading recruits from coming to UB...and then gives them the very news article they can photocopy to make the point.

I don't see this as a sports story. The same thing could happen to any kid that doesn't tell the registar's office they're not going to be attending classes that they've already signed up for.

It's every student's (that includes athletes, too) responsibility to make sure they leave school properly. 

390908[/snapback]

Yeah you're right...it's not like 1A schools EVER make exceptions for the "highly catered to" student athletes. This is just UB trying to stick it to a kid who wanted out.

Yeah you're right...it's not like 1A schools EVER make exceptions for the "highly catered to" student athletes.  This is just UB trying to stick it to a kid who wanted out.

391001[/snapback]

And I repeat, I don't feel this is a sports department issue. It's a school billing dispute that could just as well have involved some three-eyed computer engineering nerd from Long Island.

The kid didn't follow up with the Registar's office and now his folks think they can embarass the school into canceling his bill. It's no different than moving to a new home and forgetting to notify the gas company you're no longer living there, IMO.