Wireless networks shut down in London?

My husband's in London and I can't reach him on the wireless. I heard they've blocked them? Anyone know? That would mean they think there's more detonators out there...and also that would be the reason I can't reach him.

At least I reached a live person at his hotel so the landlines are up...I don't think there were any explosives detonated but but doesn't mean they're not out there somewhere.

My husband's in London and I can't reach him on the wireless.  I heard they've blocked them?  Anyone know?  That would mean they think there's more detonators out there...and also that would be the reason I can't reach him.

At least I reached a live person at his hotel so the landlines are up...I don't think there were any explosives detonated but but doesn't mean they're not out there somewhere.

387122[/snapback]

Calm down Debbie. Standard procedure. I know you planned on being there too, and it's aggravating, but I'm sure he's fine.

I am going to london in approx 2 months...do american cell phones work over there?

387383[/snapback]

It depends. The network standard is GSM, which is the standard most of the world uses. Cingular Wireless is a GSM carrier. So is T-Mobile. Sprint, Verizon and Nextel are NOT. So if you subscribe to the latter three you are S.O.L.

Next - if you have a GSM phone, it needs to be a tri- or quad-band. The frequencies in Europe are different. So check your phone deocumentation and see what you've got. If you don't have it you cna probably find it on the web. You'll want 1800/1900 and 850/900 Mhz.

So if you have the right carrier and the right phone, the last thing you'll need to do is check your plan to see if it includes international. Most don't, which means you'll be roaming, in London. Ka-CHING! You may get a reduced rate through your carrier, for instance Cingular has contracts with Orange and Vodaphone (and a zillion others) which makes roaming in 150+ countries much easier.

If you are a GSM customer and your phone doesn't meet the band requirements, you may be able to upgrade fairly cheaply. My husband upgraded for about $89 to a quad-band phone the first time he went to London and he's very happy with it. You can just go to the carrier's retail outlet and they'll hook you up.