NY Residents...check to see if you are owed $$

I found my grandmother listed there from '92.  Interesting.

Called my parents, and they don't want to bother with it.  ;)  Sometimes I wonder if I'm adopted.  C'est la vie.

EDIT: Minnesota residents, check here to see if you are owed anything:

http://www.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/portal/mn/j...agency=Commerce

CW

384760[/snapback]

Can't you prove your relationship to grandma? Claim the money!

Can't you prove your relationship to grandma?  Claim the money!

384833[/snapback]

She's still alive, so I'm assuming that she'd have to be the one claiming it... I thought my parents would help her fill out the form.

CW

a guy in my office found about $750 in comm checks that he never received on here....worth a look.....

NYS Unclaimed Funds

384751[/snapback]

Thanks, tater. Found a reference to my Dad who passed away at age 35 in 1957. I'm assuming it's the ubiquitous 500 dollar flat pay-out burial policy that was popular among WWII vets back then.

OTOH, maybe it was a fund that speculated in a then-small company based in Armonk, NY! :doh:

a guy in my office found about $750 in comm checks that he never received on here....worth a look.....

NYS Unclaimed Funds

384751[/snapback]

My wife saw our names in the newspaper for VA unclaimed property. We got a check for just shy of $600. One of my mortgage companies over paid property taxes and the county sent the money to the state.

This is actually something worth taking the time to do. A few years ago I did a search and found around 10 for an uncle of mine who eventually we found out was not very good at keeping track of his investments/money. One significant thing to know is that after I passed on the info to my Dad (my uncle was incapacitated at the time) - he followed up and they actually found over 20 accounts - some of which were not listed - so if you see some make sure you follow up to see it there are others.

I just did a search and found 3 more for the same uncle. Another thing is don't just search for your name - search for the your mother's maiden name or other names for aunts uncles etc. I just found one account for an uncle (my mother's brother), two for the family of another uncle (married to my father's sister), and one each for two of my father's aunts who died years ago.

On the downside - I just talked to my Dad and he said he filed the paperwork for the original accounts for his brother three years ago and still has not heard anything from the state :D