NHL UFAs and likely bought out players

I'm not too concerned about letting Zhitnik go.  But we need to keep a good deal of our RFA.  I definitely want to see Satan, Campbell, Afinogenov, Biron, Briere, Dumont, Grier, Hecht, Kotalik, Pyatt, and Tallinder back.

382388[/snapback]

You better rethink your stand on Zhitnik. Unless the Sabres plan on bringing in 1 or 2 top notch defensive defensemen, your #3-6 guys on the blueline are filled with journeymen like Jillson, Brown, Campbell and a 40-something James Patrick.

You better rethink your stand on Zhitnik.  Unless the Sabres plan on bringing in 1 or 2 top notch defensive defensemen, your #3-6 guys on the blueline are filled with journeymen like Jillson, Brown, Campbell and a 40-something James Patrick.

382392[/snapback]

Oh, of course I do count on them bringing at least one more D-Man in.

Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, Roman Hamrlik, Adam Foote, Sergei Gonchar, and Sandis Ozolinsh are all very appealing to me.

Unless 90% of the guys on that list are UFAs, it's way, way too long. There won't be nearly that many buyouts. If only a few teams made it through the last couple of years turning a profit, they're not going to have the money to do it. It'll just be teams doing it to get under the salary cap, not to get rid of overpriced guys.

Look at it this way...could the Islanders theoretically afford to give Alexei Yashin a 28 million dollar signing bonus all payable up front? There's no way....it would cripple their franchise. Paying Alexei Yashin 40 or 45 million dollars and getting his ability (even if he is pretty useless now) is wiser than giving him 28 million dollars and getting nothing for him.

And I can't believe somebody actually said that he's not concerned about Zhitnik going, but that we need to keep Pyatt, Campbell, and Biron. Pyatt's never going to explode into Todd Bertuzzi like Darcy Regier thinks, Campbell will never be an NHL defenseman, and Biron just isn't worth the modest money he'll be asking for- they have a better guy behind him in Miller and a capable backup in Noronen.

Peca's not coming back to Buffalo, way too many bridges burned there.

Of Niedermayer, Rafalski, Hamrlik, Foote, Gonchar, and Ozolinsh, I'd take any of them just because we desperately need a power play QB. But Ozolinsh is almost as bad as Campbell in his own end, Foote is very similar to McKee and not much of a power play force, and Rafalski's gonna cost too much/ is a midget.

Niedermayer's the best of the bunch but he's older, so I'd go with Hamrlik and try really hard to keep Zhitnik. Gonchar would be nice, but he'll be pricey, and isn't that good in his own end. Keep Zhitnik! Get a power play QB, preferably one that knows how to play in his own end too!

McGillis, Zubov, and Kim Johnsson off of that list may be better fits...

Niedermayer's the best of the bunch but he's older, so I'd go with Hamrlik and try really hard to keep Zhitnik. Gonchar would be nice, but he'll be pricey, and isn't that good in his own end. Keep Zhitnik! Get a power play QB, preferably one that knows how to play in his own end too!

McGillis, Zubov, and Kim Johnsson off of that list may be better fits...

382757[/snapback]

I'm pleasantly surprised you didn't mention Adrian Aucoin. He's not the PP QB in the sense he's more of a #2 but still better offensively than any Dman on the Sabres current roster. As his ability to put the puck in the net and size might make him a good fit here and good mentor for Jeff Jillson. Of course add him as a complement to Zhitnik. Making our top 6: Zhitnik, Aucion, Kalinin, McKee, Tallinder and Jillson. Thus leaving Brown and Campbell as depth as neither one should be playing every night.