Some WSOP spoilers

Wow Jennifer Tilly and her annoying voice won the Ladies WSOP...Mr Cotter aka Gabe Kaplan finished 2nd in an event, and Johnny Chan the Master won his 10th bracelet in a limit Hold em tourney.....

WSOP

I was thinking of something here....imagine if PGA Golfers or Pro Tennis players had to buck up between $2-$10k for each tourney they entered....that would be funny....

Wow Jennifer Tilly and her annoying voice won the Ladies WSOP...Mr Cotter aka Gabe Kaplan finished 2nd in an event, and Johnny Chan the Master won his 10th bracelet in a limit Hold em tourney.....

WSOP

I was thinking of something here....imagine if PGA Golfers or Pro Tennis players had to buck up between $2-$10k for each tourney they entered....that would be funny....

371876[/snapback]

Make me some $$$$$$$. Get to work.... :doh:

I was gonna post about Chan, but I didn't want to spoil that one for people. ESPN was not taping the final table but turned their cameras on durring the heads up duel between Phil Laak (the Unabomber) and Chan.

That will probably be the biggest story this year at the WSOP. First 10 time bracelet winner.

371876[/snapback]

IIRC, they do have to pay to enter each tournament, plus all of their travelling expenses. Granted the stars of golf make millions, but the guys way down the line don't make as much as people think.

IIRC, they do have to pay to enter each tournament, plus all of their travelling expenses. Granted the stars of golf make millions, but the guys way down the line don't make as much as people think.

Do they make 50k a year? Cuz thats about all it would take for me to do that for a living (assuming i was good enough to make ANY cut)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/230120_chad27.html

Funny article by Norman Chad....he met the guy I know.

372103[/snapback]

"I saw 'Easy Rider' and thought it was the greatest movie ever," Schleger said. Just before he turned 21, he went to Amsterdam "and lost my mind." He was arrested for trespassing in what he terms a "drug-induced psychotic episode" and spent six months in and out of asylums.

In Event 28 Gabe Kaplan (who played Mr. Kotter on the 70's sit-com "Welcome Back, Kotter") finishes in second place, earning $222,515.

Wow, Mr. Kotter!! way to go!

Anyone have any idea what the rumors 1st prize will be for the main event?

Good blog on ESPN and some good reading on card player.  Negraneau has challenged the world which is pretty cool:

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/a....php?a_id=14810

I saw him playing against Greenstein while I was out there a few weeks ago.  It was sick watching them play.  I could have stood there all day.

372198[/snapback]

Daniel updates his blog a lot in relation to his heads up challenge matches. He hasn't done very well in them. Joe Cassidy destroyed him in limit Hold 'Em and he also lost to Barry.

The estimated first prize for the main event is 10 million this year. They are expecting 6,600 players and a prize pool of over 60,000,000.

Gabe Kaplan is a very good poker player and has been playing in the World Series since the late 70's-early 80's. It's not his first money finish either.

I heard possibly around 7.5 million for first place this year. Everyone watch out for Ivey this year. I think hes gonna have a big year. His dad just died recently so he's gonna have a heavy heart, maybe making him play better. Im telling y'all watch out for my man the tiger woods of poker!  :doh:

372251[/snapback]

He has already won one bracelet this year.

I know I'm probably one of the ONLY wallers who who plays poker for a living (at least until I get a job), but I think can give some perspective to this thread. Personally (and professionally), I would love to see a 21 year old win the main event with little or no experiece? Why? So more young players will start thinking it doesn't take much to be a good poker player. The guys you see on TV are GOOD. Lederer, Chan, and Ivey espically. The funny thing is, that these tournies aren't really how they make their money. Almost all their money is made via cash games and most tourneys are for glory and for pride (I guess the money helps a little...). I heard a rumor that Ivey, in the last 3 years, has made between 50-80 million playing poker. And he's not taking this money off chumps either, he's taking it off seasoned pros.

The WSOP is a great event, and cardplayer.com is the place to follow it this year. If you are thinking of learning poker, I would give this advise: Read up, start small (many online sites offer $25 max buy in NL or .25/.50 limit games), take advantage of online sites deposit bonuses, and read up. There are so many books out there, there's no reason to risk any money without reading up first.