Can you just feel the hate oozing

What's wrong with that statement?  He's probably right.  If you look at Palmer's stats, he got off to medocre start and then got better each month that the season went on.  JP will probably do the same thing. 

The big difference is the Bills' D and ST are better than Cincy's and may be able to pull out an extra win or two to get us a wild card spot.

371114[/snapback]

Guess I am not doing a good job of explaining myself.My bad. I am not saying everything else in the article is not true, however two things annoy me.

That Levi quote is a direct jab at TD veiled as an offhanded remark. Like I said in my first post, i know these guys are only "sport" journalists, but journalists still the same. Even as a columnist who gets paid to have opinions, if you think TD blew it by drafting Big Mike before Levi, then just add that in the piece. I included the Marvin lovefest because I see that as Claytons subtle jab at TD for hiring GW instaed of Lewis. Again, just have the stones and say that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most men would feel insulted if it were proposed to employ them in throwing stones over a wall, and then in throwing them back, merely that they might earn their wages. But many are no more worthily employed now.

Thoreau

370982[/snapback]

"What I learened about beans, and what beans learned about me.". - Walden

That Levi quote is a direct jab at TD veiled as an offhanded remark.

...if you think TD blew it by drafting Big Mike before Levi, then just add that in the piece.

371232[/snapback]

I think it's too bad we don't have Levi Jones instead of Gandy as well. How does this have anything to do with MW?

I'd suggest putting some tin foil on your head for a while...you're reading way too much into this.

I'll defend the B'gals here. Through job circumstances, I've been here

since 1990.

What a decade for that club.

Last year, they ended up with 18 on the IR, including key starters early on. Their draft class of '04 stepped in and did quite well. Palmer went 1 and 5 and then went on fire, but was knocked out of action the game before Bflo, along with the starting center.

Take away the loss of a starting WR, starting MLB, his rookie back-up, a starting CB they traded for who played only 10 games, a starting center that managed 10 game or so, a starting safety that played 2 games, a starting DT who got cut and out by the Broncos and that club qualifies for playoff competition.

Keep a sense of perspective...

371169[/snapback]

I couldn't agree with you more. I think that Cincy is going to be alot better once that team is healthy. Carson Palmer is a good quarterback when he's healthy. If Chad Johnson and T.J Houshmandzadeh stay healthy, he's got good recievers. Rudy Johnson is a good back if he stays healthy. O-line is middle of the pack.

They have good corners and a solid lb set.

Will they win the superbowl? Doubt it. Are they a team that can push for a playoff spot as was suggested in the article, Absolutely.

T-R

The Bengals will have a tough time with the Steelers, Ravens, and even the Browns with what should be better coaching, in their division. I just don't see them getting into the playoffs until they prove they can beat those teams.

As for the Bills and LT, McNally thinks that Gandy will succeed. That's fine by me. And as for Drew, even though I was/am a supporter of his, he only had 2 games that I'd consider outstanding from a statistical standpoint (Rams and 2nd Miami game), whereas he had 4 really bad games (but one of which the Bills won).

Its easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as modern America's favorite pet. People like pets to possess the same qualities they do. Cats are irresponsible and recognize no authority, yet are completely dependent on others for their material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful. Cats are mean for the fun of it.

O'Rourke

371003[/snapback]

Plus, you can "O'Pult" them. Good times.

Okay, heres a link to Claytons new article. Heres a piece he put in about the Bills after his lovefest with Marvin Lewis and the Bengals. (maybe I'm wrong but didn't MM have a better record than Marvin Lewis last year, and maybe even outcoached him when we spanked their behinds in their house)http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...john&id=2096905

Bills styff on second page

370951[/snapback]

I don't know, the Bengals had nearly five yards per carry as a team and Rudi Johnson had nearly six. Willis barely had over two and as a team we had only 1.5 with only 43 total rushing yards. We had the 2nd ranked defense, they had the 19th.

Doesn't sound too impressive to me. Other than Evans no one did a thing in that game offensively and we should have had 400 yards.

I don't know, the Bengals had nearly five yards per carry as a team and Rudi Johnson had nearly six.  Willis barely had over two and as a team we had only 1.5 with only 43 total rushing yards.  We had the 2nd ranked defense, they had the 19th. 

Doesn't sound too impressive to me.  Other than Evans no one did a thing in that game offensively and we should have had 400 yards.

371510[/snapback]

Stack the box, dare Bledsoe to beat you, and take advantage of the at least 3 interceptable balls he throws per game. Tough game plan.

Okay, heres a link to Claytons new article. Heres a piece he put in about the Bills after his lovefest with Marvin Lewis and the Bengals. (maybe I'm wrong but didn't MM have a better record than Marvin Lewis last year, and maybe even outcoached him when we spanked their behinds in their house)

It's going to be hard to do better than nine wins as they make the adjustment from Drew Bledsoe to J.P. Losman. Losman has the chance to be a great quarterback, but he's in the same position as Palmer a year ago. He has to learn on the job. Too bad Losman doesn't have Levi Jones at left tackle. The Bills are patching that vital spot with journeyman guard Mike Gandy. The Bills may have to step back a game or two before making a move the next season.

Ole Clayton digging a little and both the lack of signing a LT now, and I also think the pick of Big Mike over Levi Jones

Think Clayton is a little pissed that that Shelton was released and then the Bills brass gloated a little.

On a serious note, while it is only sports, these guys are still supposed to journalists. Okay, maybe you can make the point hes a columnist, but still This kind of personal vendettas should not be allowed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...john&id=2096905

Bills styff on second page

370951[/snapback]

"because the division features more physically imposing running backs like Jerome Bettis and Jamal Lewis" I can picture Willis reading this and then in his best Jack Nicholson impression saying "Wait'll they get a load of me" :P

Thick skin for sale..

I don't see where Clayton said anything out of place. He's not my favorite writer at all but until the Bills go out and establish ourselves as a solid, balanced team that can win 10 games and qualify for the post-season, the questions will linger.

I don't need some hack football writer to validate my view of this team. I watch them closely every week. They don't.

These articles are nothing more than off-season filler.

Stack the box, dare Bledsoe to beat you, and take advantage of the at least 3 interceptable balls he throws per game.  Tough game plan.

371532[/snapback]

only 3? oh, that's right. balls thrown at the turf aren't catchable. my bad.

Thick skin for sale..

I don't see where Clayton said anything out of place. He's not my favorite writer at all but until the Bills go out and establish ourselves as a solid, balanced team that can win 10 games and qualify for the post-season, the questions will linger.

I don't need some hack football writer to validate my view of this team. I watch them closely every week. They don't.

These articles are nothing more than off-season filler.

371641[/snapback]

Okay, I'll take my beatdown, but not without a fight :P

Mt rant has nothing to do whatsoever with whether Cincy will be better than the Bills, or if have questions at LT and QB,0f which we massive ones, or even his prediction of a 7-9 season for us. I agree that is what he is paid to do.

But I have big stick in arse over journalistic integegrity. The Levi Jones statement is very thinly veiled attack on TD that I am quite sure was motivated by the whole LJ Shelton fiasco. Remember, Clayton pretty much said TD was an idiot for not making the trade. Then when LJ was released, there was reported wide spread gloating from One Bills DRive. This Levi Jones statement to me is just Claytons way of digging at TD and and saying "your an idiot". Again, no problem with the opinion, just state it and be upfront about it.

This is where his journalistic integretity breaks down for me. When you are having a "feud" (maybe too strong a word) with someone you are reporting on, revealing that is neccasary and proper. People have a right to know how and why you are forming your opinions. Again, I know these are "sports columnists" but the same standards should apply, as we saw with Mitch Albom. Part of the problem is that TV guys never take this a seriosly as old school print guys.

I don't know, the Bengals had nearly five yards per carry as a team and Rudi Johnson had nearly six.  Willis barely had over two and as a team we had only 1.5 with only 43 total rushing yards.  We had the 2nd ranked defense, they had the 19th. 

Doesn't sound too impressive to me.  Other than Evans no one did a thing in that game offensively and we should have had 400 yards.

371510[/snapback]

Spikes had a INT/TD in that game, Peters blocked a punt for a TD, and the Cinci defense committed a cardinal sin and bit on a flea-flicker that went for a TD.

3 big plays, ball game.

That game was a pretty good example of how good defense and special teams can give an offense a lot of leaway to make mistakes. Even with Willis being injured during the game, and Bledsoe being Bledsoe, the Bills won pretty handily.

I thought the game was impressive. A coach that can get production out of his offensive, defense, and special teams is a pretty good one, if you ask me.

Okay, I'll take my beatdown, but not without a fight :P

Mt rant has nothing to do whatsoever with whether Cincy will be better than the Bills, or if  have questions at LT and QB,0f which we massive ones, or even his prediction of a 7-9 season for us. I agree that is what he is paid to do.

But I have big stick in arse over journalistic integegrity. The Levi Jones statement is very thinly veiled attack on TD that I am quite sure was motivated by the whole LJ Shelton fiasco. Remember, Clayton pretty much said TD was an idiot for not making the trade. Then when LJ was released, there was reported wide spread gloating from One Bills DRive. This Levi Jones statement to me is just Claytons way of digging at TD and and saying "your an idiot".  Again, no problem with the opinion, just state it and be upfront about it.

This is where his journalistic integretity breaks down for me. When you are having a "feud" (maybe too strong a word) with someone you are reporting on, revealing that  is neccasary and proper. People have a right to know how and why you are forming your opinions. Again, I know these are "sports columnists" but the same standards should apply, as we saw with Mitch Albom. Part of the problem is that TV guys never take this a seriosly as old school print guys.

371717[/snapback]

i don't see this "thinly vieled attack" your ranting about.......

he was comparing cincy's situation to ours because obviously their are parallels between palmer and losman.........he then connected the LT's (the most important position on the line) to the appropriate QB because that is a key factor when guaging level of success at the position -- palmer has jones, losman has gandy........jones is good, gandy is not......

would it have been some kind of "thinly vield attack" if he compared losman's situation to boller's situation a few years back? something like:

"Losman has the chance to be a great quarterback, but he's in the same position as Boller two years ago. He has to learn on the job. Too bad Losman doesn't have Johnathan Ogden at left tackle. The Bills are patching that vital spot with journeyman guard Mike Gandy."

i think your reading way to much into an observation.......

he was comparing cincy's situation to ours because obviously their are parallels between palmer and losman.........he then connected the LT's (the most important position on the line) to the appropriate QB because that is a key factor when guaging level of success at the position -- palmer has jones, losman has gandy........jones is good, gandy is not......

would it have been some kind of "thinly vield attack" if he compared losman's situation to boller's situation a few years back? something like:

"Losman has the chance to be a great quarterback, but he's in the same position as Boller two years ago. He has to learn on the job. Too bad Losman doesn't have Johnathan Ogden at left tackle. The Bills are patching that vital spot with journeyman guard Mike Gandy."

371735[/snapback]

You all could be right, however I KNOW i'm right :P

If that was what he meant, could he not just of said TO bad the Bills didn't have JJ?

No, he had to say Jones who was drafted behind Big Mike by the guy TD did not hire as coach.

371735[/snapback]

You'll have to admit though that there is a difference in QBing a team with a good defense, like Buffalo, and QBing a team with a poor defense, like Cinci.

It's an oversimplification, but it's easier on the QB when your defense only gives up 17 yards to Cleveland, as opposed to giving up almost 50 points to Cleveland.

That's why Cinci has a greater need right now for a strong LT, because they're going to need Palmer to light it up to win games. I seriously doubt that's the Bills gameplan for Losman. That's why they feel comfortable that Gandy, a "journeyman" can man the position.

And if Losman sucks as bad as Boller, the best LT in the game isn't going to be able to help him. As good as Ogden is, he can't turn Boller into Peyton Manning (or even into Carson Palmer).

So that's why the comparison is off. As a football writer, Clayton should understand this.

Spikes had a INT/TD in that game, Peters blocked a punt for a TD, and the Cinci defense committed a cardinal sin and bit on a flea-flicker that went for a TD.

3 big plays, ball game. 

That game was a pretty good example of how good defense and special teams can give an offense a lot of leaway to make mistakes.  Even with Willis being injured during the game, and Bledsoe being Bledsoe, the Bills won pretty handily.

I thought the game was impressive.  A coach that can get production out of his offensive, defense, and special teams is a pretty good one, if you ask me.

371734[/snapback]

Yeah, but don't forget, it was Kitna in for the first time that season. He was very Bledsoe like.

A good game defensively, largely b/c of that. A very, very poor game offensively, no two ways about it. Given that they were Cincy and we were the Bills, we were a better team, yet we couldn't move the ball and had to rely on three big plays to win the game. The game itself was in a sense dominated by them.

If you don't agree, ask yourself how many games you think we'll win this season if we have to rely on three big plays like that each week.