OT - Cool cures

30dive

Further the Gatorade thing makes real sense, as most headaches are due to de-hydration, therefore hydrating yourself with Gatorade or the like, including water, in most cases should do the trick.

369972[/snapback]

True. Some headaches are caused by dehydration. Water is a lot cheaper than Gatorade, though, unless you like the expensive bottled kind. The problem with Gatorade is that it contains a lot of sugar and salts, probably not the greatest for those who don't need extra in their diet.

Then again, a lot of headaches aren't due to dehydration.

This is precisely what my research is all about.

370140[/snapback]

No offense, but I hate doctors.

I have rosacea. I never knew it until I went to a dermatologist to get a yearly skin cancer screening (it runs in my family). I also get pink-eye A LOT.

1) My never doctor never said anything about my Rosacea.

2) My regular doctor continued to give me eyedrops for the pink-eye without treating the ROOT CAUSE of the problem...THE ROSACEA! It took a fugging detrmatologist to fix my pink-eye.

I swear to God, all doctors do is take guesses.

True. Some headaches are caused by dehydration. Water is a lot cheaper than Gatorade, though, unless you like the expensive bottled kind. The problem with Gatorade is that it contains a lot of sugar and salts, probably not the greatest for those who don't need extra in their diet.

Then again, a lot of headaches aren't due to dehydration.

370141[/snapback]

Sevaral decades ago, pharmacies used to sell salt tablets, and gym teachers (remember them?) used to hand them out during outside gym in hot weather before all things sodium was villified <_<

To include Bud and the like it would be more like this:

A fizzy yellow adult beverage made using only the crappiest stale hops with absent flavor due to the use of cheap corn and rice in place of malted barley.

369708[/snapback]

That still makes it sound better than it actually is. <_<

No offense, but I hate doctors.

I have rosacea. I never knew it until I went to a dermatologist to get a yearly skin cancer screening (it runs in my family).  I also get pink-eye A LOT.

1) My never doctor never said anything about my Rosacea.

2) My regular doctor continued to give me eyedrops for the pink-eye without treating the ROOT CAUSE of the problem...THE ROSACEA! It took a fugging detrmatologist to fix my pink-eye.

I swear to God, all doctors do is take guesses.

370145[/snapback]

It's definitely true that there are a lot of doctors out there who are not entirely up on their info. All doctors are not equal. It really is important to find a doctor that you're comfortable with, and who you can be confident in.

As for why they always prescribe antibiotics for sore throats, there has been a lot of research on it. It has a lot to do with patient expectations, perceived patient expectations, perceived satisfaction, lack of an understanding of the main causes of sore throats, the desire to quickly and easily end the encounter by handing out a prescription instead of explaining why you don't need an antibiotic, etc. Lots of factors come into play.

Alright now Im getting mad  LAY OFF MY BUD :D

Actually been drinkin a lot of Sams summer ale as it was on sale at the price club for $18 a case

370180[/snapback]

There is a slight difference between Sam Adams anything and redneck Bud swill. <_< ...

The thing that's so frustrating about home remedies, is you find some that work perfectly, and other's that are complete BS.

But I have found that baking soda works better than a lot of cleaning solutions.

I've used a small amount of blue Dawn liquid dish soap to wash an animal, and it killed every flea instantly. It's mild enough not to irritate the animal's skin. The rest of the ones listed here I can't vouch for.

Everyone's heard that you use tomato juice to get rid of skunk odor, right? Not really, but one of the most popular home remedies passed from person to person who have never actually used it. Sure, once your olfactory sense gets overwhelmed over a period of time, I suppose the smell of tomato juice may be noticable, but that skunk odor is still there. The acid in tomato juice does very little to remove it, not to mention the cost. Here's something I've used that I know works - (NOTE - avoid getting in pet's eyes/ears/mouth) - mix 1/4 cup of baking soda with a quart of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), and add a tablespoon or so of liquid dish soap so that it will get some lather to it. Wash the affected area with that while it's still bubbling (whether it be a dog, you, a car, etc), let it sit for maybe 10 minutes, and rinse well. The odor is gone - completely. You may already know hydrogen peroxide will eventually turn to water. Where does that extra "O" go? It's carrying away the chemicals in skunk spray that cause the odor. Your pet will be completely odor free. You can also mix this in a spray bottle and spray your pet with it, then rinse. If your pet got sprayed in the skunk's den, chances are he took it full in the face, in which case I would recommend seeing the vet.

As for why they always prescribe antibiotics for sore throats, there has been a lot of research on it. It has a lot to do with patient expectations, perceived patient expectations, perceived satisfaction, lack of an understanding of the main causes of sore throats, the desire to quickly and easily end the encounter by handing out a prescription instead of explaining why you don't need an antibiotic, etc. Lots of factors come into play.

370199[/snapback]

But still....aren't they doing the public a HORRIBLE dis-service by wantonly prescribing antibiotics?

But still....aren't they doing the public a HORRIBLE dis-service by wantonly prescribing antibiotics?

370536[/snapback]

Absolutely, yes. Which is why people like me do research into ways of persuading doctors and other providers to prescribe antibiotics more judiciously. Unfortunately, there are a lot of barriers to overcome.

It's easy to rag on doctors for over-prescribing antibiotics, and I do it all the time, but you have to keep in mind that the vast majority of the time there is no way to know if a particular illness is viral or bacterial. Most upper respiratory infections are viral and don't need antibiotics, but still in most cases there isn't a simple test to tell you if it's bacterial. And you can't tell just by signs and symptoms, even though a lot of docs (and patients) may try to convince you otherwise ("green snot" does not equal bacterial infection, for example).

So often we try to convince docs that they don't need to prescribe an antibiotic, but what if that patient turns out to actually have a bacterial infection? Again, in most cases, it won't matter -- a lot of them will resolve even without antibiotics (otitis media being a good example). But a small minority of cases will not get better, and may get a lot worse.

Would you want to be the doctor that didn't prescribe antibiotics for that sore throat that ended up developing into a potentially life-threatening retropharyngeal abscess?

Psychologically, it would be very hard. Economically, it could be devastating. It's why we now have "defensive medicine", and we know who to thank for that.