NFL Supplemental Draft

I haven't seen much coverage of the NFL Supplemental draft coming up in a couple weeks. I did hear that alot of teams, esp. the Dolphins, are interested in defensive tackle Manuel Wright who is leaving USC because of academic problems.

And article in a Jersey paper mentions more players who might be decent pickups, but I haven't heard much about the Bills interest in this draft. Have we heard anything from Donahoe about it?

I got the link from Google.....but this web site doesn't let you link directly to archived articles. :(

Go to google news and search Vinny DiTrani Returning for Seconds

Other players mentioned:

-Kentucky linebacker Chad Anderson, who led theSEC in tackles with 125 in 2003 but had problems with academics

-Clemson wide receiver Roscoe Crosby, who played one year at Clemson after signing a $1.75 million baseball contract as an outfielder with the Kansas City Royals. He left the Royals organization after an elbow injury, and showed excellent speed in workouts for NFL scouts.

I might be wrong - but I am not sure if we have any picks in the supplemental draft...

368714[/snapback]

Supplemental draft picks are subtracted from next April's "real" draft. So far as I know, the Bills have all of their 2006 picks, so they could participate in the supplemental.

The draft order in a supplemental is the same as in the last April draft, so if, say, SF or Miami or Cleveland thought it was going to have a good enough year to slide back to the bottom third of the first round it would be tempting to "pre-use" the team's No. 1 pick for someone who might otherewise be a Top 10 kind of player. Sometimes teams actually do this, but usually not because it can easily blow up on you. (Some years ago the Giants used their No. 1 to take QB Dave Brown in the supplemental. They'll be fitting him for a Hall of Fame blazer any day now.)

You don't have to use a No. 1, however. I understand it actually works like an auction. A team could bid, say, a third-round pick on someone, and if no other team offered a better pick (a No. 1 or No. 2, or a lower pick in the third round), the first team gets the player and forfeits the third-rounder in the next draft.

Supplemental draft picks are subtracted from next April's "real" draft.  So far as I know, the Bills have all of their 2006 picks, so they could participate in the supplemental.

The draft order in a supplemental is the same as in the last April draft, so if, say, SF or Miami or Cleveland thought it was going to have a good enough year to slide back to the bottom third of the first round it would be tempting to "pre-use" the team's No. 1 pick for someone who might otherewise be a Top 10 kind of player.  Sometimes teams actually do this, but usually not because it can easily blow up on you.  (Some years ago the Giants used their No. 1 to take QB Dave Brown in the supplemental.  They'll be fitting him for a Hall of Fame blazer any day now.)

You don't have to use a No. 1, however.  I understand it actually works like an auction.  A team could bid, say, a third-round pick on someone, and if no other team offered a better pick (a No. 1 or No. 2, or a lower pick in the third round), the first team gets the player and forfeits the third-rounder in the next draft.

368730[/snapback]

Thanks for that description. I've been trying to figure out how the supp draft works. That makes sense. I appreciate it.