What would Losman have to do to...

All of you basically mentioned tangible, statistical accomplishments that would have JP pass Kelly. While I agree that a Super Bowl win would challenge Kelly alone, its not really those kind of things that made Kelly my favorite QB.

Mainly, it was his presence. His attitude. His moxy.

When you looked into his eyes, you knew there was a guy who would never quit. He was a linebacker with a QBs arm. He would stand in the pocket until the last second and deliver a pass with such conviction that sometimes you just knew it was gonna be a first down.

I even liked his bad qualities. He was stubborn, cocky and hot-headed. He was so sure of himself he would try passes most would be afraid of. He would make you scream and curse his name, but he would also make you dance and sing SHOUT as loud as you could. He was the consummate brash and fearless leader. And he made you believe.

That is what I remember about Jim Kelly, that is what I wish JP will become and that is what he must do if he wishes to dethrone the king.

yeah and throw in a Super Bowl.... :angry:

Is it even possible?  I know I am getting WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of myself and I am not saying that he will.  Yet, just out of curiousity what would he or any other qb have to do to pass Jim Kelly in your mind as the best ever in a Bills uniform?  Statistically jimbo threw for 35,000 yard with 237 tds.  I'm pretty sure everyone knows all this but I'm just putting it out there. 

What would he have to do? 

50,000 Yards and two superbowls?  300 tds?  Open a succesful bar downtown?  :(

Just having some fun.  Can it be done?

T-R

368382[/snapback]

He'd probably have to kill his detractors. Some zealots are never going to accept him, no matter what.

Is it even possible?  I know I am getting WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of myself and I am not saying that he will.  Yet, just out of curiousity what would he or any other qb have to do to pass Jim Kelly in your mind as the best ever in a Bills uniform?  Statistically jimbo threw for 35,000 yard with 237 tds.  I'm pretty sure everyone knows all this but I'm just putting it out there. 

What would he have to do? 

50,000 Yards and two superbowls?  300 tds?  Open a succesful bar downtown?  :(

Just having some fun.  Can it be done?

T-R

368382[/snapback]

Stats don't matter. But leading his team, consistantly removing Brady and BB from SB contention (like Kelly and the Bills did to Marino and Shula), and winning a SB would do it for me...

Any QB to win a superbowl in Buffalo would make that QB the greatest QB the Bills have ever had. Period.

368446[/snapback]

There have been too many Trent Dilfers, Doug Williams and Mark Rypiens for me to say that.

Nope, to be the best QB in Bills history, the team will have to be centered around the QB...

Consistently lead a winning team. Have those games where he leads the team by putting them on his back and refuses to loose. And win a SB. I don't care what the guy does, if he doesn't win it all he can never be better than Kelly to me. Honestly, even if he does win a ring, I might not say he is better, just another great...

JP will have to do a whole lot to surpass Kelly in my mind. So much that I can't even put a finger on it.

Kelly was dealt a fairly impossible hand when he came here, annointed as the savior of a continually floundering franchise that hadn't consistantly won for nearly 25 years and had been nearly "Bengalesque" during much of the period.

Here's to JP pulling it off!

I want a super bowl championship, but that alone won't make me think JP is better any more than it will convince me Teague is better than Hull, or that any of these guys are better than Smith...

He has to keep us in it every year, as many posters have said. But more importantly, he has to play every game with such emotion and toughness that whatever uninspired furrball the team may be coughing up on the field (as all teams do from time to time) we'll still BELIEVE that as long as there is time on the clock we can come back and win it. For me that confidence represented the Kelly era and was epitimized by the man himself.