Star Wars acting wasn't the worst so far

VABills

I can't tell you how many veterans I have spoken too about Private Ryan that have told me it is the most realistic film ever made of Normandy. Several who I spoke with had to pause the movie numerous times because the visuals, the characters and the action were just too close to home. So to state that the production qualities for Ryan (let alone the directing and acting) were poor is just ignorant of what the movie was really about.

367971[/snapback]

I agree. SPR is one of the modern greats in my opinion.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.  SPR is one of the modern greats in my opinion.

368019[/snapback]

I abolutely agree here too. SPR was one hell of a film, and I am sure that many people are like us, when we are able to watch this movie over and over.

Also, SPR was much better than Pearl Harbor and Titanic (another good flick), and most other movies in the historical events family of movies

I abolutely agree here too. SPR was one hell of a film, and I am sure that many people are like us, when we are able to watch this movie over and over.

Also, SPR was much better than Pearl Harbor and Titanic (another good flick), and most other movies in the historical events family of movies

368089[/snapback]

I agree SPR was much better than the other two you mentioned, but they were bad on multiple levels.

I agree SPR was much better than the other two you mentioned, but they were bad on multiple levels.

368091[/snapback]

Well, we can agree to disagree here as everyone has their own unique tastes. That being said, Our tastes are very much different

Just because a movie finishes in the Top 10 in gross does not mean it's a good movie. Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, American Beauty and Almost Famous were not on those lists and they were excellent movies. Ironically enough, all were made within the last 10 years.

There have been a lot of crapfests and these tend to be the ones that get the most hype and publicity, hence the higher draw at the box office. People will only see a commercial for Meet the Fockers so many times before they decide they have to see it.

There are a lot of good movies out there...sometimes you just have to look for them.

On what levels did SPR fail as a film?

368157[/snapback]

In my opinion it went way over the top. People getting shot and arms and legs flying down the beach. Ever seen someone get shot, I have twice, there arm or leg didn't go flying off. I cannot get beyond that bad "shock and awe" tactic to help sell a movie.

Wow the KKK guy knows nothing about movies. There is a difference between the top grossing movies and the best movies released in a given year. And if less of you idiots spent time and money on the bad ones hollywood would respond by making less of them. But since you go and see movies like bewitched which was panned by all of the critics then you allow for more crap to be made. But if you went to see good movies like cinderella man or crash then hollywood would make more of them. Instead you go and see whatever is advertised the most falling into their trap like the idiot that you are.

In my opinion it went way over the top.  People getting shot and arms and legs flying down the beach.  Ever seen someone get shot, I have twice, there arm or leg didn't go flying off.  I cannot get beyond that bad "shock and awe" tactic to help sell a movie.

368160[/snapback]

That "shock and awe" tactic is called realism. In war people's arms and legs will fly around due to grenades and other explosive weapons. If I am correct you would rather see a glorified, non-gory version of war; however that would not be realistic, and less beleivable and enjoyable to most.

That "shock and awe" tactic is called realism. In war people's arms and legs will fly around due to grenades and other explosive weapons. If I am correct you would rather see a glorified, non-gory version of war; however that would not be realistic, and less beleivable and enjoyable to most.

368218[/snapback]

No they don't going flying. Have you seen it in real life, I have. It wasn't realistic.

No they don't going flying.  Have you seen it in real life, I have.  It wasn't realistic.

368220[/snapback]

well keep us up to date on your reviews at least. how was herbie fully loaded? was it as good as cheaper by the dozen?

Private Ryan was watchable, but too be honest really not that good of a movie

Fight Club, sucked and was a horrible movie

367728[/snapback]

My grandfather was shook by Saving Private Ryan. Obviously the reality of the movie was powerful enough to move people who were actually there, I give it atleast some street cred. As for the acting, I thought it was pretty good.

What was your beef with it VABILLS? Just curious

As for Fight Club, I thought it was freakin awesome. I liked the story, I liked the acting, I liked how dark it was. Just curious what you didn't like.

Thanks

t-r

You people really don't like Movies.....

In the past 10 years...

Memento

City of God

Collateral

Gladiator

Black Hawk Down

Saving Private Ryan

Schindlers List

Se7en

Kill Bill Vol 1

Kill Bill Vol 2

Pulp Fiction

The Game

Fight Club

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Being John Malcovich

Adaptation

The Matrix

The Aviator

American Splendor

Sideways

The Virgin Suicides

Lost in Translation

Rushmore

Royal Tennebaums

I can keep going. 

Yes, there are alot of sh------- movies out there, esp in the summertime, but you need to remember that there are alot of quality American Films put out every year.

367779[/snapback]

Not one of these movie sucked. I thought they were all fantastic. Good list

You did not LIKE those movies. That is far different from saying they are not good films.

Good Will Hunting is near perfect, as was Seven. Both are fantastically written, well acted and beautifully directed. To say otherwise demonstrates you don't really understand what qualities makes for good cinema.

367942[/snapback]

I forgot about all of these good movies. I loved Good will hunting.

"Do you like apples? I got her number, how do you like them apples?"

Great line

t-r

No they don't going flying.  Have you seen it in real life, I have.  It wasn't realistic.

368220[/snapback]

Relative to point of impact and amount of explosive material different things can and DO happen. Granted not every person's arm is going to fly away, but I don't really recall that happening out of control during the movie. Grenades and other types of explosions WERE REALLY going off on the beaches of Normandy.

Arms and Legs were really missing. My grandfather told me the saddest feeling he ever had in his life was looking to the water and seeing a sea of red lined with allied bodies.

Haven't you ever seen a veteran come home missing body parts? It's very very real.

t-r

In my opinion it went way over the top.  People getting shot and arms and legs flying down the beach.  Ever seen someone get shot, I have twice, there arm or leg didn't go flying off.  I cannot get beyond that bad "shock and awe" tactic to help sell a movie.

Have you ever seen a grenade or landmine go off, much less near a person? It AIN'T pretty. It's nothing like "just" getting shot.