Akili Smith

Yoho

Yet the scouts are able to pull out the Eric Crouch's of the college world and accurately predict that they do not have the arm for the pros.  How can they not tell the system QB's from the genuine talents?

358852[/snapback]

Wasn't Eric Crouch basically an option QB? I only remember him throwing when teams had 9 men in the box trying to stop NU from rushing for 400 yards a game. I don't think anyone other than himself was ever under the illusion that he was a pro caliber QB.

There were three reasons why Smith was drafted so high (and why he proved to be a bust)...

1. Much like Erik Flowers, Akili Smith was a "fast riser". Heading into the 1998 season, Smith was projected to go undrafted -- or as a late round QB at best. Then he turned some heads in that last season, and became one of the fastest rising NFL prospects in history.

2. The Browns were never seriously interested in Smith -- but had talks with him leading up to the draft to add more leverage to their sincere talks with Tim Couch. Smith himself even realized this -- and made references to having felt "used" at the time. That helped to inflate his value in what was considered a QB-rich draft at the time.

3. From a pure, physical standpoint, Smith may have had the strongest arm of any QB in the draft. He looked awesome in a workout in shorts... Of course, the strongest arm in the world doesn't help you if you can't read a defense. Just think of Jim Drunkenmiller, who may have had the strongest arm of any QB ever drafted... but lacked the grey matter to get the job done.

Smith's failure is in part the reason the kid from Cal dropped as far as he did this year.  Tedford coaches successful college QBs, but they haven't excelled in the pros.  Akili is the worst of the bunch.  (hopefully my memory is correct and he did play for Tedford, if not, please disregard)

359001[/snapback]

You are correct sir. List of Tedford QB's in the NFL

1) Trent Dilfer

2) Billy Volek

3) David Carr

4) Kyle Boller

5) Aaron Rodgers

6) Joey Harrington

8) Akili Smith

9) Reggie Robertson

Out of the entire list, I'd say Smith is the only true flop and Dilfer the only true success. Only the Dolphins expected Feeley to be anything more than a backup and Robertson is what scouts expected him to be... A career backup. Jury is still out on Carr, Harrington & Boller. Volek will eventually get his shot.

Tim Couch was picked before him, 1st overall pick in the draft.  How'd he turn out.   <_<

359154[/snapback]

Like Smith, he was thrown to the wolves on lousy teams and got pounded to death. Smith was a fine athelete and tough as nails. But even when he wasn't scraping himself off the turf, he never really seems to have any notable qb skills other than the cannon.

Bruce Coslet desperately wanted the Ricky trade that Ditka offered, but owner Mike Brown was adamant about Smith.

So Akili ended up walking away with buckets of Mikie's money. :doh: