Dalton Kincaid Rookie Stats, reprise

Just now, Beck Water said:

OK, where was he in Y/R?

Because the real question with Y/R is "depending on how the guy's being used, how much of what's there is he getting?"  A number of the TE ahead of Kincaid were being used as "big wide recievers" and/or had higher YBC as well, because they were being thrown to more downfield, instead of as Kincaid was used most of the season very close to the LOS.

You just answered your own question of “why were 49% of his yards YAC?”

A player that runs a 4 yard route and gets 4 yards of YAC will have 50% of their yards be YAC. A player that runs an 11 yard route and gets 4 yards of YAC will have less than 30% of their yards be YAC. But the YAC is the same. That’s why I posted the YAC/reception, not Y/R.

So Kincaid was 18th among TE’s as a rookie. That’s solid. Room for improvement though.

On 1/9/2024 at 4:33 PM, Sierra Foothills said:

Preseason I said that Kincaid would be second in receptions after Diggs. I was right.

I also said he would score 10 TDs.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:25 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

I read in the Bflo News this morning that Kincaid's 73 receptions this year are the 4th most in NFL history by a rookie tight end.

While it was not the best season by a rookie tight end this year, historically it is one of the best seasons by a rookie tight end.

Kudos again to Brandon Beane.

On 3/21/2024 at 1:18 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

I was way off at 40, 450, 4.  I feel shame.

You kneel feed no shame... you shield kneel no fame... you need feel no shame... yes that's it!

You need feel no shame.

• Haha (+1) 1

A beautiful thing indeed.

I don't think McDermott ever was unwilling to play rookies, even start them. But it was really hard for the rookie to impress him enough to earn that. 

A guy like Rousseau shows you can play ... if you can play. As a rookie he played 49% of snaps. That's gone up, but not much. 56%, then 60%. Singletary played a higher percentage of snaps as a rookie, 67%, than he ever did again, including his Houston years. His non-rookie high was 65% in his last year in Buffalo.

Tre White played 99% as a rookie, and never played quite that much ever again.

I think you're right that when things are humming as a system, it's easier for rookies to progress.

But in my opinion it's no coincidence that Kincaid played 63% as a rookie, while Dawson Knox as a rookie played 64%. Things don't appear to be changing all that much.

Looks - to me anyway - like they just think that they just couldn't keep Torrence off the field, that he was just too good.

Anyway, I do agree that the better the system works, the easier it is for younger guys to pick it all up. Marv Levy also allowed a very few rookies to play full-time, but not most. And it did seem to get a little more common later in the Bills run.

• Like (+1) 1