Don't speed

Fezmid

According to a survey released today by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) in Washington, D.C., authorities nationwide tend to allow for a 10 mile-per-hour cushion before giving citations.

Not here. Not anymore.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/545...vsuvvfrv8k60s46

http://www.bugmenot.com -- if you need a password for the site.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I think this is just a way for them to get more money... The minimum speeding ticket here is $130 (and that's for 1 mph over the speed limit).

CW

Maybe I'm cynical, but I think this is just a way for them to get more money...  The minimum speeding ticket here is $130 (and that's for 1 mph over the speed limit).

CW

358042[/snapback]

Any muncipality could make a killing by simply putting a cop with a radio on a corner, calling the chase cars to ticket the multitudes that refuse to use their turn signals.

CW

358042[/snapback]

Hey Fez,

These types of articles represent how poorly people understand statistics - which I use ALL the time in my work at NOAA. Just because it makes sense to associate one thing with another, that is often not the case or - even more likely! - is just one element in the equation.

yes, speeding is associated with accidents but fatalities are on the rise because of the increase in large vehicles on the roadways (SUVs). They take longer to stop, roll over more easily than small cars, and when they strike smaller vehicles more damage is done to the smaller vehicle than if they were hit by something smaller. Thus, small car drivers AND SUV drivers are dying at a higher rate than ever before. Speeding doesn't help this of course!

The article also points out (correctly) how traffic tieups due to increased traffic/congestion etc tend to skew the average driver speeds but they also tend to increase driver frustration which increases ALL drivers likelihood of making a risky move (not to mention Road Rage).

Of course, how many drivers do you know who both speed regularly AND use radar detectors? For the life of me, I can't figure out why these are ever legal. I mean, what purpose do they serve other than to help someone break the law? So, the real law breakers will not be concerned with the crackdown. They'll be purring along at the speed limit right past the speed trap.

That's America! As Russert's dad would say, "Whatta country!"

My road mantra? Never be in a hurry. You'll live longer.

-RnJ

In NY State, I want the right to shoot all cell phone addicts who can't decide whether to drive or operate a runaway phone booth with zero consideration for other drivers. I see a few folks with the new headsets but far too many are still holding a cell phone to their ear, driving other people off the road while immersed in their useless phone conversations.

Cell phones = Adult pacifiers

BLAM ! :doh:

yes, speeding is associated with accidents but fatalities are on the rise because of the increase in large vehicles on the roadways (SUVs). They take longer to stop, roll over more easily than small cars, and when they strike smaller vehicles more damage is done to the smaller vehicle than if they were hit by something smaller. Thus, small car drivers AND SUV drivers are dying at a higher rate than ever before. Speeding doesn't help this of course!

-RnJ

358053[/snapback]

Several months ago, NHTSA (? - think it was them) noted an increase in "lane change" accidents. I believe it, with the larger number of SUV's and vans, most of which have darkened rear and side windows.

I'm circumspect when passing or being passed by a vehicle with such glass.

Of course, how many drivers do you know who both speed regularly AND use radar detectors? For the life of me, I can't figure out why these are ever legal. I mean, what purpose do they serve other than to help someone break the law? So, the real law breakers will not be concerned with the crackdown. They'll be purring along at the speed limit right past the speed trap.

358053[/snapback]

Yeah, maybe we don't need to know when the government is wire tapping us either. Why would anyone besides law breakers care about that. :doh:

The problem isn't velocity. The problem isn't the size of the vehicle. The problem is people aren't paying attention, and the consequenses of not paying attention are higher when traveling at a higher velocity, especially doing it with a larger vehicle.

Several months ago, NHTSA (? - think it was them) noted an increase in "lane change" accidents.  I believe it, with the larger number of SUV's and vans, most of which have darkened rear and side windows.

I'm circumspect when passing or being passed by a vehicle with such glass.

358083[/snapback]

Had a guy change lanes in front me on the way to work today on 85N just south of Atlanta. Cruising along around 80mph (anyone else in Atlanta can verify that's about average) and the jackhole moves in front of me from the right and just misses my bumper. being the good New Yorker I am I lay on the horn as I apply mucho pressure to the brakes. People don't use the horn down here, so when they hear one it gets attention. He then tries to wave or flip me off. I couldn't tell with the cell phone in his hand.

I can't back it up with numbers, but I'd bet one of our biggest threats on the road down here is Georgia bumpkins and rural Alabamans.

In NY State, I want the right to shoot all cell phone addicts who can't decide whether to drive or operate a runaway phone booth with zero consideration for other drivers. I see a few folks with the new headsets but far too many are still holding a cell phone to their ear, driving other people off the road while immersed in their useless phone conversations.

Cell phones =  Adult pacifiers

BLAM !  :doh:

358067[/snapback]

In California, we envy NY's cell phone law. At least you have one. For New Yorkers, it might be effective to consider California's three strike law. Maybe a trade? On second thought, we want both!

Another thing to consider is the tailgating (sometimes necessitated by the cell phone users). Some of the time tailgating works as away to snowplow the car in front to drive faster. When I am tailgated, I lock in the cruise control. If that doesn't back them off, I use the decelerator button. Eventually, the tailgaters resign themselves to a safer distance and a lesser speed.

I was at a four way stop yesterday when after letting the two cars perpendicular to me pass, this lady guns it right after I entered the intersection. If I hadn't slammed the brakes my passenger side would have been labeled. Since I have a '95, most likely the car would have been done when considering what little insurance would have done for me. The lady acknowledged that she was in the wrong but as an earlier poster expressed, concentration is seriously lacking on the road today.

An underestimated cause of accidents is people not being awake behind the wheel. Coffee and / or a Red Bull could help people wake up a little better before getting in the vehicle.

Cell phones =  Adult pacifiers

BLAM !  :doh:

358067[/snapback]

Amen, brother! I have to admit I get some serious road rage when seeing these a-holes weavng around in traffic as they chat away on their fuggin cell phones. :P

Amen, brother!  I have to admit I get some serious road rage when seeing these a-holes weavng around in traffic as they chat away on their fuggin cell phones.  :doh:

358213[/snapback]

Uhhhhhhh BFNC - Yes, the people that do what you say ARE A-Holes BUT the more people like you and I "chill" the safer WE will be. Road rage is REAL and never helps.

A friend (mentor) of my wife's (RevNJoisy) taught us both to laugh as often as we can at this and say out loud, " Wow! They won!" whenever somebody does something like you describe to us.

You and I both know that the real winners will be us and the true losers are the idiots on the road who make driving a competition.

My dad taught me day 1: Assume ALL drivers are idiots.

No accidents so far.........(age 43)

:P

It's nothing more than a way to raise an unlevied tax.  They could give a crap about you or anyone else dying - that's simply the rhetoric they hide behind.

358167[/snapback]

Our localities park the little radar trailer with the speed readout here and there. That qualifies as taking action to reduce accidents, so they then get federal $$$ for doing their part.

Reminds me of Clinton's "100,000" more cops on the street. My brother, a recently-retired Niagara Falls cop, got double pay for the best part of a year through that program. He was given a pager, and was on 24 hour call (which he was, anyway)...but he was one of those extra 100K. :doh:

Our localities park the little radar trailer with the speed readout here and there. That qualifies as taking action to reduce accidents, so they then get federal $$$ for doing their part

Oh, so that's what those are for? Hudson, WI has then up from time to time and I had no idea what it was for (other than to remind people of their speed). Very interesting.

CW

Oh, so that's what those are for?  Hudson, WI has then up from time to time and I had no idea what it was for (other than to remind people of their speed).  Very interesting.

CW

358273[/snapback]

Such things are not uncommon. For years, I've gotten phone calls from school systems from my previous and current Ohio school district asking me to enroll my children in school lunch programs (We have no children).

I've learned that they get approximately 30 cents per head profit per day from the feds for each enrollee...it adds up.

Why a parent can't slap together a p 'n b sandwich and toss it in a paper bag with an apple for the little darlings is another issue...

358053[/snapback]

For the same reason that rolling papers and glass bongs are available. Unless you can prove someone is breaking the law with them you have no case.

It's nothing more than a way to raise an unlevied tax.  They could give a crap about you or anyone else dying - that's simply the rhetoric they hide behind.

358167[/snapback]

The states do not, the individual officers I imagine have a tough time scraping some teenager who'd been speeding off the road.

Cell phones = Adult pacifiers

I just wish Minnesota had a law like NY State does. Its a real pain in the butt driving behind a phone booth. Minnesotan's and Iowanian's are among the worst drivers in America. They never use turn signals, perform Montana Left Hand turns (getting into the passing lane, driving for 1/2 mile before turning, regardless of oncoming traffic) and have no idea what MERGE means. When polled two years ago in the Minneapolis Star Tribune, 80% of the drivers thought the Yield sign and Merge signs meant the same thing!

They shouldn't be cracking down on speeders, they should be cracking down on Red light shooters, turn signal avoiders and just plain Minnesota STUPID drivers. Leave the speeding alone.

I just wish Minnesota had a law like NY State does.  Its a real pain in the butt driving behind a phone booth.  Minnesotan's and Iowanian's are among the worst drivers in America.  They never use turn signals, perform Montana Left Hand turns (getting into the passing lane, driving for 1/2 mile before turning, regardless of oncoming traffic) and have no idea what MERGE means.  When polled two years ago in the Minneapolis Star Tribune, 80% of the drivers thought the Yield sign and Merge signs meant the same thing!

They shouldn't be cracking down on speeders, they should be cracking down on Red light shooters, turn signal avoiders and just plain Minnesota STUPID drivers.  Leave the speeding alone.

358374[/snapback]

Amen!

CW