Another rosenhaus player

Hmmmmmm...

"Thursday, June 9, 2005

Chad Johnson says he won't hold out for more money

By Kevin Kelly

Enquirer staff writer

In response to a comment made by his agent in a recent online report, Chad Johnson stressed Wednesday that a holdout is not in his plans.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus represents the Bengals wide receiver, who is under contract through the 2009 season. An ESPN.com story about Rosenhaus included a comment from the agent that Johnson was "sorely underpaid."

"My agent doesn't run me. I run myself," Johnson said after Wednesday's workout. "He works for me. Therefore, if there were any holdout going on it would be going on right now with the rest of those that are holding out for more money right now.

"(Number) 85 ain't going nowhere."

In November 2003, the Bengals gave Johnson a $12.5 million signing bonus on a five-year contract extension worth $26 million. According to the NFL Players Association, his salary will rise from $1 million this season to $3.6 million by 2009.

"That's Drew's opinion," Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said. "He's got that opinion about nine or 10, 12, 15 guys all around the league through this point. No big deal."

Johnson led the AFC in receiving yards (1,274) last season, caught a career-high 95 passes and was voted to the AFC Pro Bowl squad for the second consecutive year.

"Am I underpaid? I'm not sure," Johnson said.".

The players Drew has that are holding out are NEW Drew clients this year. They had different agents last year.

354998[/snapback]

Good point. So maybe they already had holding out in mind before they signed with him.

He's still an ass who is a major danger to pro football.

At some point the NFL owners need to outsmart guys like Rosenhaus and put an end to these meaningless contracts players sign now. I'd like to see contracts that mean something again. The signing bonus is the only real contract nowadays...the rest is just a short term negotiation.