Jets new stadium rejected

Actually, it's horrible for the Bills chances of getting any kind of state money. If the Jets can't get money for a stadium that would create thousands of jobs and could bring the Olympics to NYC, the Bills chances of ever getting money from the state are non-existant.

Perhaps just a simple omission on your part, but you go out of your way to call attention to the fact that the Gov. and majority leader are rebublicans, what about Silver?  Is he an independent?

352675[/snapback]

I think the irony in all of this is that many in WNY seemed opposed to spending money on a downstate statdium because they object to such a large expenditure going there while there is no similar large expenditure here ( in essence an argument that if one is going to build a stadium in NYC for the Jets why is there no similar commitment for the Bills?).

The irony is that if in fact NYS did decide to make such a huge investment in a downstate stadium, nothing is certain in this world, but it would so strengthen the hand and argument for folks looking for a similar investment in WNY that my sense is if you want a new stadium for the Bills then one should be pushing for a Manhattan stadium for the Jets.

Nothing is certain in this world, so having the NYC stadium will certainly not gurantee a new substantially state funded stadium for the Bills at all. However, in assessing the more likely political outcome, WNY would clearly have a large call on big bucks from NYS to match the expenditure put into a downstate stadium.

The fight is more likely going to be whether the upsate payoff for the downstate expenditure would be for the Bills, for some other large public venue (ex. substantial state funding for some huge waterfron thing, a new airport, the budget deficit or whatever.

Fake, I can't speak for anyone else, but my major opposition point is not that the Jest want a stadium, not that state taxes are going to fund it. My biggest gripe is that fact they want an obscene amount of money to put it in Manhatten. It makes NO sense whatsoever...

Perhaps just a simple omission on your part, but you go out of your way to call attention to the fact that the Gov. and majority leader are rebublicans, what about Silver?  Is he an independent?

352675[/snapback]

honest typo - i'll add that in. good catch.

I think the irony in all of this is that many in WNY seemed opposed to spending money on a downstate statdium because they object to such a large expenditure going there while there is no similar large expenditure here ( in essence an argument that if one is going to build a stadium in NYC for the Jets why is there no similar commitment for the Bills?).

The irony is that if in fact NYS did decide to make such a huge investment in a downstate stadium, nothing is certain in this world, but it would so strengthen the hand and argument for folks looking for a similar investment in WNY that my sense is if you want a new stadium for the Bills then one should be pushing for a Manhattan stadium for the Jets.

Nothing is certain in this world, so having the NYC stadium will certainly not gurantee a new substantially state funded stadium for the Bills at all.  However, in assessing the more likely political outcome, WNY would clearly have a large call on big bucks from NYS to match the expenditure put into a downstate stadium.

The fight is more likely going to be whether the upsate payoff for the downstate expenditure would be for the Bills, for some other large public venue (ex. substantial state funding for  some huge waterfron thing, a new airport, the budget deficit or whatever.

352710[/snapback]

This post hits the nail right on the head. Totally agree. With a new stadium in NYC, our chances of securing funds (that would be substantially less) would have been a little bit easier.