2024 Arena Football League is potentially returning with 16 cities. Buffalo Destroyers?

Buffalo Super Fan

On 2/2/2023 at 7:19 AM, SirAndrew said:

It’s not just economics, it’s the size of the city as well. Buffalo isn’t one of the larger markets, and you eventually run out of people interested in these secondary leagues. There isn’t much interest anywhere in the country at this point. We’re a smaller market with an NFL franchise. How much demand for football from a lesser league does the city have? That doesn’t make us a bad sports town, it just means people moved on to hockey season. These leagues work best in markets without pro teams or larger markets. I understand your point, but I don’t think an arena football team can be used as measuring stick for Buffalo’s economy. 

You make a good point. The Bisons are a good example.  

On 2/2/2023 at 7:19 AM, SirAndrew said:

It’s not just economics, it’s the size of the city as well. Buffalo isn’t one of the larger markets, and you eventually run out of people interested in these secondary leagues. There isn’t much interest anywhere in the country at this point. We’re a smaller market with an NFL franchise. How much demand for football from a lesser league does the city have? That doesn’t make us a bad sports town, it just means people moved on to hockey season. These leagues work best in markets without pro teams or larger markets. I understand your point, but I don’t think an arena football team can be used as measuring stick for Buffalo’s economy. 

We also don't have as much of the downtown residency that a typical city enjoys.  We are largely a spread out suburban region with a somewhat poor downtown population spread away from downtown proper.  If we had a lot of people living downtown in a sustaining community with grocery stores, etc, things like an MLB pipe dream or more anchor tenants in the arena would be feasible.  People aren't in a hurry to drive 25 minutes from West Seneca to watch an Arena football game.  Especially if they just did so the other night for a Sabres game.  Not to mention finding parking and worrying about traffic getting out of there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.