Frank Gorshin passes on at age 72

He didn't leave us with one last riddle?

RIP Riddler.

339354[/snapback]

Indeed. The oldsters are dying out - those of the golden age - who could dance, act, sing, whatever. Most of the current crop are one-trick ponies fueled by massive pr campaaigns. There are a few of that old ilk, though. Robin Williams, Witherspoon and Zeta-jones come to mind.

Indeed. The oldsters are dying out - those of the golden age - who could dance, act, sing, whatever. Most of the current crop are one-trick ponies fueled by massive pr campaigns. With the exception of Robin Williams, the era of the Danny Kayes, Sammie Davis's, Donald O'Connors' Fred Astaires', Ray Bolgers' etc. is over.

339370[/snapback]

Not as long as Gallagher and Carrot Top are still around.

They are still around, aren't they?

...Frank Gorshin's distinctive hyena laugh still rings in my ear to this day.  The Riddler was a great character--best if the Batman bad guys imho.

"Riddle me this, my fine bat fiends..."

339395[/snapback]

Easily, the Riddler was the best one. Just like on the animated series, where the Riddler was just outstanding. It was only in the movie version where the Riddler wasn't up to par. If only Robin Williams would've taken the role and not whined about the salary...

Indeed. The oldsters are dying out - those of the golden age - who could dance, act, sing, whatever. Most of the current crop are one-trick ponies fueled by massive pr campaaigns. There are a few of that old ilk, though. Robin Williams, Witherspoon and Zeta-jones come to mind.

339370[/snapback]

I agree. There are still those entertainers who are multidimensional but also are unfortunately underrated and unmarketed. We don't hear about this type of entertainer unless we are intense followers of dancing, acting, singing and especially standup comedy. In bygone days, it was hard to be an entertainer so plying a variety of trades kept them working. Our society has changed and the appreciation of theater and dance is not as mainstream as in the past. If there is a market and it producers profits then those days could return albeit in a different shade.

The Batman movies were all bad. For too many of these "recreation" films the producers diverged too much from what made the Batman series a classic. Dick Tracy was one "recreation" film that tried to retain their predecessor's standard but honestly, the best part of that film were the costumes. There is a void in TV series' that have the classic style of the Batman series. But that is not how corporate TV wishes to gamble it's revenues.

The best Batman episodes were when they had more than one villain in the episode.

The Riddler was a classic - both the Batman character and the actor. The Riddler, the Joker and the Penguin all had very successful careers. And don't forget the one episode appearance of the Siren, aka Joan Collins!

RIP Riddler.

Easily, the Riddler was the best one.  Just like on the animated series, where the Riddler was just outstanding.  It was only in the movie version where the Riddler wasn't up to par.  If only Robin Williams would've taken the role and not whined about the salary...

339402[/snapback]

no, no no, my friend. i always liked the Penguin.

MWAA MWAA MWAAAAA...

I agree.  There are still those entertainers who are multidimensional but also are unfortunately underrated and unmarketed.  We don't hear about this type of entertainer unless we are intense followers of dancing, acting, singing and especially standup comedy.  In bygone days, it was hard to be an entertainer so plying a variety of trades kept them working.  Our society has changed and the appreciation of theater and dance is not as mainstream as in the past.  If there is a market and it producers profits then those days could return albeit in a different shade.

The Batman movies were all bad.  For too many of these "recreation" films the producers diverged too much from what made the Batman series a classic.  Dick Tracy was one "recreation" film that tried to retain their predecessor's standard but honestly, the best part of that film were the costumes.    There is a void in TV series'  that have the classic style of the Batman series.  But that is not how corporate TV wishes to gamble it's revenues.

The best Batman episodes were when they had more than one villain in the episode.

The Riddler was a classic - both the Batman character and the actor.  The Riddler, the Joker and the Penguin all had very successful careers.  And don't forget the one episode appearance of the Siren, aka Joan Collins!

RIP Riddler.

340223[/snapback]

the first batman movie with jack nicholson was quite good, I thought.

the rest I could have done without, though.