Serious Question From An Eagles Fan

I'd rather be in the Super Bowl every year and lose, than be among the teams sitting and watching.

Making it four straight seasons is an accomplishment that may never be duplicated, and being the 2nd best team in the league is a lot better than being nowhere.

I certainly wish we would have won at least one, but getting there four stright years certainly made it a fun time.

The Eagles have spent the last five seasons trying to push the stone up the hill and get that first Lombardi trophy.  Three straight NFC championship game losses followed by this past Super Bowl defeat has left a sour taste in the mouths of many, but not nearly all Eagles fans.  Some are content to contend every year, to go to a playoff game or two, and are confident that there will always be next year.

Now, with the TO situation and the contractual discontent of others, particularly Brian Westbrook, many Eagles fans are afraid the window will close, and that we've seen all we're going to see.  If that happens, I don't know if I'll look upon the past four years with fondness or with bitterness.  I suspect the latter.

I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on this question.  How do you look back on the Bills' Super Bowl years? With fondness and at least some sense of satisfaction? Or perhaps with bitterness and emptiness?  I grew up in upstate NY and rooted for the Bills in every Super Bowl.  I can only imagine how crushing it must have been for you.

Thanks for your input.

337910[/snapback]

Talk to me when they lose 4 straight!

That period of time gave the entire region a boost in nearly all facets. Happier people, sense of community. The football team ended up being very cathartic for the region. Always something to look forward to during training camp and the expectation of playing well into January.

I can't believe that was 12 years ago!

:doh:

Hell, I remember when people were complaning after Chuck Knox left when the team might ever win a division again. There was an 8 year gap. Hell, now it is a 9 year gap I believe. Nobody seems to argue that idea anymore.

Enjoy it while it lasts.....cause one day the Philadelphia Eagles will finish 5-11, and you'll be looking back at the past as well.

Hell, I remember when people were complaning after Chuck Knox left when the team might ever win a division again.  There was an 8 year gap.  Hell, now it is a 9 year gap I believe.  Nobody seems to argue that idea anymore.

338337[/snapback]

It's been a third of my lifetime since they've been in the Super Bowl. It's amazing to me how fast time flies.

The Eagles have spent the last five seasons trying to push the stone up the hill and get that first Lombardi trophy.  Three straight NFC championship game losses followed by this past Super Bowl defeat has left a sour taste in the mouths of many, but not nearly all Eagles fans.  Some are content to contend every year, to go to a playoff game or two, and are confident that there will always be next year.

Now, with the TO situation and the contractual discontent of others, particularly Brian Westbrook, many Eagles fans are afraid the window will close, and that we've seen all we're going to see.  If that happens, I don't know if I'll look upon the past four years with fondness or with bitterness.  I suspect the latter.

I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on this question.  How do you look back on the Bills' Super Bowl years? With fondness and at least some sense of satisfaction? Or perhaps with bitterness and emptiness?  I grew up in upstate NY and rooted for the Bills in every Super Bowl.  I can only imagine how crushing it must have been for you.

Thanks for your input.

337910[/snapback]

I have been a Bills fan since the Fergy days.... The Wammie Wennie and I can even remember in the glory days local buisnesses making a killing of of Bills merchandise.

I remember the Pizza Hut collecters mug set and the posters that tops used to sell. However the 80's weren't all that great for the Bills. That was what I saw when I grew up, that product on the football field. And then when Marv, Jimbo and Co. got there it was kind of like a breath of fresh air. However now I totally find myself taking the "glory days" for granted. I look back and think to myself wow we may never see another superbowl again. And at the same time we may never see another team make it to four in a row. For myself I will never be satisfied until I'am at the parade in downtown Buffalo celebrating a Bills superbowl victory.

I have been a Bills fan since the Fergy days....  The Wammie Wennie and I can even remember in the glory days local buisnesses making a killing of of Bills merchandise. 

I remember the Pizza Hut collecters mug set and the posters that tops used to sell.  However the 80's weren't all that great for the Bills.  That was what I saw when I grew up, that product on the football field.  And then when Marv, Jimbo and Co. got there it  was kind of like a breath of fresh air.  However now I totally find myself taking the "glory days" for granted.  I look back and think to myself wow we may never see another superbowl again.  And at the same time we may never see another team make it to four in a row.  For myself I will never be satisfied until I'am at the parade in downtown Buffalo celebrating a Bills superbowl victory.

338407[/snapback]

Wanna talk about the end of the WNY diaspora? Watch the population of Buffalo temporarily triple if that ever happened.

You know what was great about those years for us 40 and above?. It gave us hope that the Bills could actually be a dam good team. Sure, we had a couple of playoff seasons under Knox, but never any kind of sustained success. Those years still give me hope in every game, and every season. I mean, it even effected Todd Collins agaisnt Indy. If that guy can pull out a 26 pt comeback, think of what JP can do. And I do think that history can rub off on the players. I never had that hope prior to 90

Tell ya the truth, as a fan of those days, even if the Bills are down 14 with less than 3 minutes on the clock today, you still think they are gonna win. Been like that every season for me except GWs first year.

Seriously, I wouldn't be as happy making just 1 SB and winning it and never going back again.  I'm a Braves fan too so I know what I'm talking about here. 

IMO, it's better to have been the Bills rather than the Jets, Colts, or Chiefs.  After all in this day and age, it's not whether you win just one SB.  Sad, isn't it. 

337930[/snapback]

Completely disagree. If you have a chance to be the one best team in any season, you take that and keep working towards the 2nd ring whenver that will come. I'd much rather say I was a champion once, than very good for a long time.

As for the run in general, I enjoyed those teams, but the first team to go all the way will have more admiration in my mind. The only loss of the four that bothers me is the Giants loss. Four things about that game bother me in particular:

1) Ingraham juking and jiving for a 1st down against about a half-dozen defenders.

2) Kelly scrambling TWICE on the last drive. Time mattered more than the two yards that slower than slow QB was going to run for.

3) Not taking one more snap to move the ball off the hashmark.

4) Norwood's preparation for the last kick. He admitted later that he was only considering the distance (which he clearly covered), but did not adjust for the fact that he was on the hashmark. Inexcusable.

Those were great years. I believe the Bills were undefeated vs. the NFC during the regular season those years.

May not have gone to four straight if Norwood would have made the kick the first year, but there's not telling.

How do you look back on the Bills' Super Bowl years? With fondness and at least some sense of satisfaction?

337910[/snapback]

I had season tix throughout the whole run and went to SB XXVI in Minneapolis. Despite the lossses, the Bills provided the best sports memories I'll ever have (and they only grow fonder with time).

Enjoy the Eagles success while you can. It's likely to last a few more years...and who knows, you may win the big one yet.

Thanks for your input.

337910[/snapback]

I think that its because of those 4 straight losses in SB's that "winning it all" will mean that much more to me. I remember when Don Beebe was with GB and the year they won, Favre handed the ball to Beebe after the game and said to him, "You deserve this more than anyone." To me that's what it is all about, honoring a warrior for his efforts and dedication despite any shortcomings. Even Emmitt Smith said after our 2nd SB matchup that had he not been a Dallas Cowboy that day, he would have rooted for Buffalo to win that game! Do people make stupid comments to me about being a fan of a 4-time loser? Sure they do. Do I care? Hell NO! Anyone who truly is a Football FAN knows what these guys have to endure just to reach the playoffs, let alone win a title! You just enjoy watching your favorite team play the game for as long as they can into any particular season, their time will come as will ours! Having said that I hope the BILLS kick the Eagles' asses next time we play each other! :D

It is a tough question that you pose.

I hate to say it, but I think that I would trade the 4 losses for 1 win.

I am quite fond of WNY and Bills fans in general, and the fact is that they/we deserve a superbowl win for being the greatest fans of any team in any sport.

That said, it was a great feeling to see your team take the field and have SO much condifence in them. I felt that way this season while watching our STs.

Today, many teams are just a few players away imo. Not to take away from the Pats, but their SB victories were not exactly routs. It all starts up front, and I am hoping that the Bills will be able to beat up other teams.

Good luck, until you play the Buffalo Bills.