Bummer

problem is, a club team isn't a division 1 team - it is a club team.

out of curiosity - how many division 1 lacrosse teams were there in 1985?

the final 4 probably wasn't that big of a deal back then.

338689[/snapback]

Very true, but a club lax team at the University of Maryland composed of people who basically grew up on the sport? Still a pretty damn good team if you ask me.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think that making the final four from a group of 20 that includes Syracuse, Hopkins, Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Navy, Loyola, Delaware (John Grant's alma mater), UMass, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Georgetown, and the six Ivy schools that have lacrosse (Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth, Yale, Brown and Penn) -- all of which were around in 1985 -- is still pretty impressive.

Put it this way: most of those schools had competitive, if not excellent, programs, well stocked with talent from the usual hotbeds of the sport. There might be 300 Division I basketball programs, but 150 of them pretty much suck and another 100 generally don't have a chance in hell of making the final four. Making the final four in lacrosse, even in 1985, WAS a big deal, especially if you weren't SU, Hopkins or Carolina.

Hobart beat the great Gates brothers era team in 1986.

338269[/snapback]

Just to nitpick -- that team didn't have the Gaits. Paul and Gary played at SU from 1987 through 1990. In fact, Syracuse didn't win a national title from 1984 through 1987, although, of course, they did make the final four all four of those years. And that was a great 'bart team, too. I still think they made a mistake moving up to D-I though. Dave Urick built that program and then they made the move up after Urick went to Georgetown (where he built another excellent program). As far as I can see, they haven't done a damn thing to upgrade the facilities there; the field and grandstands are pretty much high school caliber. If you want to recruit in central and western New York against Syracuse and the Dome, you're going to have to offer more than "we won 12 straight D-III titles back in the day."

out of curiosity - how many division 1 lacrosse teams were there in 1985?

the final 4 probably wasn't that big of a deal back then.

338689[/snapback]

Actually, DI makes a difference in club programs too. Check this page on college club lax programs --NCLL

They don't even list DIII schools. Again, I contend a small, private school in Western PA beating a major university's club team located in one of the 2 or 3 major areas for lacrosse is pretty impressive.