Possible job in Mclean, Virginia

I know people that commute from Easton and Stroudsburg PA to NYC every day. keep the Manhattan salary, live with PA prices, brilliant.

333748[/snapback]

Ya except for the 2+ hours of your life you lose every workday. That's one of those quality of life things. When you're young, it's no big deal. After a spell you settle down, have a family, and your time starts to be worth more relative to your money.

Is it easy to get in/and out of DC?

Like through public transportation?

336515[/snapback]

Yeah, but after you do the tourist crap with your family and friends there's no real reason to go there... except maybe for a concert or something. If you have to go downtown for work, forget it.

Do they have a lot of trains there? buses?

If the commute is so bad, why wouldnt people just take public transit?

Or is it not available?

336515[/snapback]

Yeah, they do... there's park'n'rides and Metro and whatnot. A lot of people use it. The point is, instead of spending money on building roads, they float all these pie-in-the-sky panacaea public transportation proposals. A lot of it has to do with appeasing traditional inner-city Democrat constituents (enviro-whackos, welfare recipients, etc), a lot of it has to do with corruption and kickbacks from the firms involved. Metro is a complete money-sink, buses are better but still require taxpayers to subsidize each rider.

If you take the money from the sillier public transpo (like Metro and ancillary bus service) and build out some damn lanes there'd be minimal gridlock, even within the Beltway... but the Arlington NIMBY's and people worried about the brown-spotted field mice would be put out. Guess they'd rather have the trucks idling on the I-66 parking lot every day, I'm sure THAT'S better for the environment.

Did I digress again? Drat. :lol:

Grevey's is nearby which is dedicated to Bills games on Sunday.

334572[/snapback]

Grevey's is OK IF you have a group and a reservation for sometimes Grevey's is standing room only and often tables sit for an hour while waiting for reserved people to show up.

I prefer Jimmy's Old Town Tavern myself.

http://www.jimmystavern.com/

Is it easy to get in/and out of DC?

Like through public transportation?

Do they have a lot of trains there? buses?

If the commute is so bad, why wouldnt people just take public transit?

Or is it not available?

336515[/snapback]

It is easy IF you live near by a metro station and your location is near a metro station. If you do not if is often a hassle to park if you do not get there early, plus cost of parking, plus sometimes trains are full when you want to go. Buses work but that adds a lot more time to your travel time and heaven forbid if you need to work late and need to wait an hour for a bus. Oh and crosstown commuting does not work for it takes so long to go suburb to suburb.

The problem with metro in DC area is they try to have their cake and eat it too - rather than making it so affordable that it takes a lot of traffic off the streets they try to price it 'compatible' to driving yourself if you do not need to pay for expensive DC parking. And if it is 'compatible' and you are not going to give up having a car, why bother?

Hey Glenn, clicked on Jimmy's site and saw the pictures from the Ravens game...was that the trip were it was something like $250 for tix and tailgate?

Looks like they had a good time, despite the weather and the Bills' performance.

Hey Glenn, clicked on Jimmy's site and saw the pictures from the Ravens game...was that the trip were it was something like $250 for tix and tailgate?

Looks like they had a good time, despite the weather and the Bills' performance.

336601[/snapback]

It appears to be:

40 Bill's Fans from Jimmy's attended the Bills-Ravens game and were given true, Baltimore style VIP service. What happens in Baltimore, stays in Baltimore. However, enjoy the photos!

I can not afford VIP treatment and was flying out that day to California anyways so I could not go. I know I had a good time last time I went to away game with Jimmy.

If you're in the Hudson Valley you'll save a ton on taxes by moving south. The down side is McLean is where Ethel Kennedy etc. etc. live(d) soooo while 60K is very respectable, it's not going to get you into McLean absent a BIG down payment.

Having said that, get used to the Commute from somewhere. RT 7 W of McLean is a Beeatch. I-66 towards Manassas is not too much better. The big question is what hours will you be working? If you can somehow tele-communte or work "off" hours Loudon or Clarke Counties are doable. There are some that go out as far as Winchester VA. & Gettysburg PA. I know that sounds obsurd, but that's where they can find a place that fits their needs and is affordable.

The sales tax in VA is 4.5%, the state income tax is not too bad, and you're not supporting the Hildabeast in NY. state.

Good luck! It's a big decision, but the farther S of NY/CONN, you go, the more you will have left in your pocket. N VA has 2 Wegman's and with Direct TV, it's better than "home." :lol:

I would move there in a second. If you are working in McLean you don't have to live there, you can live a suburb or two away much cheaper. Great place to live (Northern VA), great weather, lots to do, easy access with the metro into DC. I lived in DC for 5 years. 60K is not going to take you as far as 60K in Buffalo. But I would live there over many places in the states. I like the area much better than the Carolinas and Georgia b/c there is much more to do, great history etc. You can live there if you don't have a lot of other debt and expenses. I say go for it!!!!

Grevey's is OK IF you have a group and a reservation for sometimes Grevey's is standing room only and often tables sit for an hour while waiting for reserved people to show up.

I prefer Jimmy's Old Town Tavern myself.

http://www.jimmystavern.com/

336588[/snapback]

Grevey's food blows. It's extremely average or below average. Jimmy's Food is much better and Jimmy & Staff are really nice. At Grevey's they can come across as apathetic at times. On game days expect to wait a while even for simple things such as fries. I've often waited up to an hour for food there on Sundays and when it comes it simply isn't worth the wait.