Japan and N. Korea situation

...must...stay...away...from...this...thread...

330634[/snapback]

Good move, 20 minutes of typing a your an idiot post coupled with near expert reasons why they can still go out to Applebees tonight would only force you to ban yourself, hence, nice move. <_<

Check please? <_<

Good move, 20 minutes of typing a your an idiot post coupled with near expert reasons why they can still go out to Applebees tonight would only force you to ban yourself, hence, nice move. <_<

Check please? <_<

330687[/snapback]

Worked for me...NG let me back in during a lapse in thought.

no one is gonna die here.  either we give them energy and they shut the phuck up, adn go away for 5 more years and stop their bomb making or we are going to pump them full of 2,000 bunker busters from now until 2007.  collateral damage to SKorea maybe, but that is their problem.  maybe china gets involved and comes in from the north with us, as they want to trade with the west and will crush the North koreans to do so.   thank god we are not on the west coast, where north korea bombs can hit,  buffalo is toooooooooooooooo farrrrrrrrrrr.  is niagara falls still a "hot" target - as it was 50 years ago?

330666[/snapback]

NK now has missiles that can shoot 6000 miles and deliver a payload? :(

According to this they have Taepodong that go about 5000 KM. That isn't far enough to hit LA, and probably not Alaska. It's about 3300 miles to nome and that is really strething the limits.

And before you start is is longer to Hawaii, than Alaska.

http://www.ceip.org/files/projects/npp/res...issilechart.htm

Certainly, Japan, SK, and numerous Asian countries.

But again, they have to get a nuke on board, and have it trigger somewhere near their intended target.

That's not even getting into the politics of it.

Old Kim would have a bullet in his head very quickly if he started popping off missiles.

NK now has missiles that can shoot 6000 miles and deliver a payload?  :(

According to this they have Taepodong that go about 5000 KM.  That isn't far enough to hit LA, and probably not Alaska.  It's about 3300 miles to nome and that is really strething the limits. 

And before you start is is longer to Hawaii, than Alaska.

http://www.ceip.org/files/projects/npp/res...issilechart.htm

Certainly, Japan, SK, and numerous Asian countries. 

But again, they have to get a nuke on board, and have it trigger somewhere near their intended target.

That's not even getting into the politics of it. 

Old Kim would have a bullet in his head very quickly if he started popping off missiles.

330796[/snapback]

Theoretically the Taepodong-III can hit the West Coast. That's if it works, as the third stage has a nasty habit of exploding. And if it can deliver a payload that far - just because the missile flies that far doesn't mean the missile plus payload does. And if the payload actually fuses and detonates, as that is a non-trivial task, particularly without testing...and an inert warhead is pretty friggin' useless.

Other than that, North Korea's a real threat...

Theoretically the Taepodong-III can hit the West Coast.  That's if it works, as the third stage has a nasty habit of exploding.  And if it can deliver a payload that far - just because the missile flies that far doesn't mean the missile plus payload does.  And if the payload actually fuses and detonates, as that is a non-trivial task, particularly without testing...and an inert warhead is pretty friggin' useless. 

Other than that, North Korea's a real threat...

330880[/snapback]

The TD-2 doesn't even work yet and you are talking about a TD-3?

The TD-2 doesn't even work yet and you are talking about a TD-3?

330937[/snapback]

Thanks, Ken. I had to double check that I said II. Which to my understanding wasn't even started designing for until 1994. Given that is only 11 years, unless they borrowed, bought or stole technology from elsewhere, which is very possible, they would not have anything working in that timeframe. Think about how long the US took back in the 40's and 50's to get something working and that was with the greatest minds probably ever assembled to pull that off. NK is pulling some a smaller working group and probably less overall training then even our scientists had in the 40's and 50's.

Thanks, Ken.  I had to double check that I said II.  Which to my understanding wasn't even started designing for until 1994.  Given that is only 11 years, unless they borrowed, bought or stole technology from elsewhere, which is very possible, they would not have anything working in that timeframe.  Think about how long the US took back in the 40's and 50's to get something working and that was with the greatest minds probably ever assembled to pull that off.  NK is pulling some a smaller working group and probably less overall training then even our scientists had in the 40's and 50's.

331055[/snapback]

Frankly, I am not even sure a TD-3 is on the drawing board. They are concentrating on getting a TD-2 design that works.

Frankly, I am not even sure a TD-3 is on the drawing board. They are concentrating on getting a TD-2 design that works.

331091[/snapback]

I am agreeing with you. Again, reread, but the 2 is only 11 years in the making as as of 2003 they were having issues with the 1st stage blowing up still. Highly unlikely that they have resolved those problems and already gotten the 2nd and 3rd stages working in 2 years if the 1st stage wasn't working after 9 years of design and development.

Even with that a 3000 mile limit once it does work will barely reach the Aleutian islands and would not come close to Hawaii or LA.

Hell they "supposedly" tried to lauch a sattelite a couple year ago that landed just over Japan. Now there are some that believe it was a preliminary test of the 1st stage of the T-2 but that was only about 100 mile launch or so.

Again enough to reach Seoull, but the real immediate threat to South Korea is really the massive invasion force that NK could launch and really take 100 miles of Korea quickly. While they could overrun and probably control that for a very long time, much as Saddam with Kuwait, without a deterrent the world would within a year be able to launch a massive couter that could destroy a lot of the conquered Korea pennisula, but would also lay waste to most if not all of the NK army.

The variable being China, and possibly Russia, due to the general proximity.

I am agreeing with you.  Again, reread, but the 2 is only 11 years in the making as as of 2003 they were having issues with the 1st stage blowing up still.  Highly unlikely that they have resolved those problems and already gotten the 2nd and 3rd stages working in 2 years if the 1st stage wasn't working after 9 years of design and development. 

Even with that a 3000 mile limit once it does work will barely reach the Aleutian islands and would not come close to Hawaii or LA. 

Hell they "supposedly" tried to lauch a sattelite a couple year ago that landed just over Japan.  Now there are some that believe it was a preliminary test of the 1st stage of the T-2 but that was only about 100 mile launch or so. 

Again enough to reach Seoull, but the real immediate threat to South Korea is really the massive invasion force that NK could launch and really take 100 miles of Korea quickly.  While they could overrun and probably control that for a very long time, much as Saddam with Kuwait, without a deterrent the world would within a year be able to launch a massive couter that could destroy a lot of the conquered Korea pennisula, but would also lay waste to most if not all of the NK army. 

The variable being China, and possibly Russia, due to the general proximity.

331182[/snapback]

Hey, Sparkey...I was addressing Dexter with the TD-3 comment. Please re-read the thread. :o

As far as the TD-2 use, why would they use a TD-1 or 2 to hit the ROK? The ND-1 and 2 are more than sufficient to hit the ROK and Japan. They also have the Hwasong 5 and 6. The TD variants are to hit targets farther away.

Hey, Sparkey...I was addressing Dexter with the TD-3 comment. Please re-read the thread.  :o

As far as the TD-2 use, why would they use a TD-1 or 2 to hit the ROK? The ND-1 and 2 are more than sufficient to hit the ROK and Japan. They also have the Hwasong 5 and 6. The TD variants are to hit targets farther away.

331345[/snapback]

Why bother with a missile at all, when there are several thousand tubes of artillery within range of seoul?

Hey, Sparkey...I was addressing Dexter with the TD-3 comment. Please re-read the thread.  :o

331345[/snapback]

And I meant -2, thanks for the correction.