In praise of Western NY

Success

Saw it again this week - this time from salty and newly insecure Patriots fans.  "So what if their team is good - they still have to live in Buffalo, the armpit of the world."

Huh?  Buffalo, Rochester & Western NY in general are AWESOME.  Beautiful countryside, the Great Lakes w/ their boating, fishing & beaches, the Finger Lakes, amazing foliage in the fall, good skiing in the winter, Niagara Falls.  The cities are clean, have a good economic base, great culture, good music scenes & concert venues, and of course, fantastic food.  And we're not just talking the beef on weck & wings.  Some of the best fine dining restaurants I've ever been to, some of the best dives, and everything in between.  Good wine country.  A few of the best colleges in NY State.

And the people are genuinely good people - very down to earth compared to many places in the country, and always ready to help their neighbor or a stranger.  Obviously, we have the best fans in the world.

I think people just say that because it snows a lot.  But just about everyone I know up there loves the snow, and does something that takes advantage of it (skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, et al.)

I live in a different region now because of work, but have plans to move back when I retire.   I love it up there.

• Like (+1) 3

It’s just some bitter Cheater* bandwagon fans looking to feel superior. They will be gone in a few years.  Their housing is FAR more expensive, their traffic is a nightmare, their weather is no better, and the food is a wash (I lean to WYN,  but I’m biased).

The PEOPLE in Buffalo are hands down the biggest difference. I grew up in Buffalo.  My wife worked for the Bank of Boston for years and currently has a team in Boston. I have a sister in Providence and get to Boston often. Nice town, no hate for a northern city. We started our honeymoon in Boston decades ago. I don’t hate the people of Boston, but Cheater* fans are delusional.  I know Boston FAR better than they know Buffalo, but they still feel entitled to act like they know “the truth”. They hear Buffalo and they think snow. So stupid! Have they ever even BEEN to Buffalo? 

EDIT: Funny story, I met a guy in a tennis league and we became friends. The first conversation has the typical “so, where are you from?” talk.  He says “I’m from the armpit of the United States” and I say “Oh. Gary, Indiana?”  He says “so you’ve been there?” and I say “well, I drove through once, that’s all it took.” 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.