McDermott's Biggest Mistake?

JESSEFEFFER

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Completely incorrect.  The Bills deferred their decision to the 2nd half meaning at the beginning of the 3rd quarter they had a choice between receiving, kicking off, or choosing which end to defend.  So  the Bills could have instead chosen which end to defend so they'd have the wind in the 4th quarter.  But then NE would have chosen to receive the ball to start the 3rd quarter just as they received the ball to start the game.  You're basically giving NE an extra possession in a game that they were behind at the half and could sense point would be hard to come by.  That would be a hard choice to defend if they lost in giving NE the ball an extra time in game they were behind at the time.

I will say the the thought did go through my mind before the coin toss that if the team deferring to the 3rd quarter was ahead by a fair margin, would they choose direction instead of the ball.  I think if the Bills were up 2 TD's at the half, then may have in that case.

I am 99% correct.  Choose the ball at the start after winning the toss.  NE chooses the direction of the kick.  At the start of the 2nd half NE has choice and 99+% of the time would take the ball rather than kick and effectively give up a possession.  The Bills then decide on which direction their offense moves in the 4th quarter.  

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I am 99% correct.  Choose the ball at the start after winning the toss.  NE chooses the direction of the kick.  At the start of the 2nd half NE has choice and 99+% of the time would take the ball rather than kick and effectively give up a possession.  The Bills then decide on which direction their offense moves in the 4th quarter.  

Yes that would work, assuming NE doesn't choose direction instead.  99% of the time you are right, they'd choose the ball, but since NE did have a small lead and with that wind I wouldn't count on BB taking the ball, think it would be more like 50/50. 

In reality, the Bills moved the ball better into the wind that with it.  NE did nothing with the wind as far as passing goes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.