NHL Fans - Preseason Question

The Avenger

So I'm a casual hockey fan - I'll watch a game on TV and wonder why I don't watch more of it but I really don't watch it regularly or follow it unless maybe it's the playoffs.

Anyway,  the other night I found myself watching the Boston vs. NY Rangers game (not even realizing it was preseason) and the game ended regulation tied at 3. Off to a period of overtime where they played 3-on-3.  Boston passes the puck back to their goalie to switch players and the goalie gives the puck up to a NY Ranger who promptly stuffs it it the net - game over, right? No - they actually went to a shootout AFTER this overtime goal. On TV they had mentioned during the overtime that the game would go to a shootout anyway and I was a bit confused but paid it no mind. My understanding is that the league is piloting something in the preseason with more shootouts.

Can anyone explain to my what they are doing in the preseason and why a goal in overtime did not end the game? I'm confused and they never really explained it on the broadcast - I'm figuring people who follows the NHL probably knows... 

The game did end in OT, but during the preseason this year the home team has the option of deciding if they also want a shootout for practice, which doesn’t count. The Sabres lost last week in Detroit 6-2 in regulation, then they also had a practice shootout, which of course the Sabres also lost.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.