Want to help kids? For Real?

I love Donors Choose. This charity allows teachers to go online and request funding for projects that are otherwise unfunded. Donors can go online and choose to donate money to help fund the project in part, or all. If the project never gets fully funded, there's an option to roll the donation over to another project, or not to make it at all.

Best of all the "handling cost" (what little goes to the charity itself) is clearly stated.

There are a wide range of projects from which to choose, and a growing number of regions represented (it started I believe just focused on New York City schools).

My husband and I have purchased guitars for a rural school in NC, a puppet for a class of special needs kids, and a viola for a k-2 music program in the Bronx. The letters and photos from the kids after the fact are just wonderful and best of all, unlike taxes, you KNOW the money is going exactly where you want it.

Anyway I know a lot of folks here want to do the right thing for the future of our country but are frustrated that the government spends foolishly or that their donation may not go where it's intended - this may not be perfect but it's a far sight better than anything else I've found.

Try it, you'll like it!

I love Donors Choose.  This charity allows teachers to go online and request funding for projects that are otherwise unfunded.  Donors can go online and choose to donate money to help fund the project in part, or all.  If the project never gets fully funded, there's an option to roll the donation over to another project, or not to make it at all.

Best of all the "handling cost" (what little goes to the charity itself) is clearly stated.

There are a wide range of projects from which to choose, and a growing number of regions represented (it started I believe just focused on New York City schools).

My husband and I have purchased guitars for a rural school in NC, a puppet for a class of special needs kids, and a viola for a k-2 music program in the Bronx.  The letters and photos from the kids after the fact are just wonderful and best of all, unlike taxes, you KNOW the money is going exactly where you want it.

Anyway I know a lot of folks here want to do the right thing for the future of our country but are frustrated that the government spends foolishly or that their donation may not go where it's intended - this may not be perfect but it's a far sight better than anything else I've found.

Try it, you'll like it!

321746[/snapback]

For all the crap you get (deservedly, I think...but I am a crap throwing monkey) about the Mickey Mouse BS you post, your posts like this make up for it. I'm bookmarking that site.

Interesting site, I bookmarked it too after looking around for a bit.

I have to admit thought, the notion that teachers must resort to submitting funding requests for educational/learning tools is more than a little disturbing to me. I'd understand if the marching band wanted new uniforms or something, but some of those requests are for the most basic teaching tools. Shocking.

Interesting site, I bookmarked it too after looking around for a bit.

I have to admit thought, the notion that teachers must resort to submitting funding requests for educational/learning tools is more than a little disturbing to me.  I'd understand if the marching band wanted new uniforms or something, but some of those requests are for the most basic teaching tools.  Shocking.

321770[/snapback]

Yes it is disgusting but GREAT to be able to do something about it. When I first started to donate there were only scores of requests, now they number in the thousands.

I can't tell you how much we enjoy making these donations. Whenever I feel blue I go there and I always find something that makes me smile to finance. A year ago I'd buy something for myself but this is WAY more fun, and sugar-free!

• 1 year later...

I have significantly reduced the number of charities I give to (the Red Cross is permanently off the list after I read how they bought Ambulances for Hamas), instead I give more to ones I know are actually doing something productive. While reviewing my taxes this weekend, I realized I made four different donations to this Donor's Choose last year. Each time I got a personal letter from the teacher and a bunch of letters/cards/pictures from each of her students expressing real appreciation and showing how much of a difference a few hundred bucks can make. That certainly makes me feel like my donation was worth something useful and not going to pay for some half a million dollar salary for some a--hole at United Way or wherever. If you haven't looked at their website, it's worth a few minutes to do so.

• 1 year later...
I have significantly reduced the number of charities I give to (the Red Cross is permanently off the list after I read how they bought Ambulances for Hamas), instead I give more to ones I know are actually doing something productive. While reviewing my taxes this weekend, I realized I made four different donations to this Donor's Choose last year. Each time I got a personal letter from the teacher and a bunch of letters/cards/pictures from each of her students expressing real appreciation and showing how much of a difference a few hundred bucks can make. That certainly makes me feel like my donation was worth something useful and not going to pay for some half a million dollar salary for some a--hole at United Way or wherever. If you haven't looked at their website, it's worth a few minutes to do so.

I'm going walk over and donate $50 at 3 now. Thanks for the info!

• 7 months later...