Gunner's 2021 Draft Quarterback Evaluations

15 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Its gonna be interesting to see what the Jests do with Wilson. If they don't build that O line this season and really improve the offensive skill positions the kid might not survive it. That slight build is worrisome. 

Zach Wilson kind of strikes me as a sort of Josh Rosen type personality.

The kid is currently 6'2'' 213 lbs. 

The Jets needed to make certain he was 100% healthy and recovered from injury before dumping Darnold. 

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Some-Teams-Have-Makeup-Concerns-with-Zach-Wilson

Look at his career college stats and he looks like a one year wonder. 

Weaknesses

Level of competition allowed for "bombs away" mindset in 2020.

Struggled with accuracy and decision-making against Coastal Carolina.

Carries ball down by waist as pocket scanner.

Has tendency to over-stride and sail throws at times.

Hero ball needs to be dialed back a bit.

Passed up on the easy throw to take the harder throw.

Doesn’t work with enough anticipation as a passer.

Will baby throws, forcing open receivers to break stride.

Ill-advised throws under pressure turned into interceptions in 2019.

Went 2-4 against top-25 teams during his career.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zach-wilson/32005749-4c82-7119-d27e-724ec33f130b

NFL comparison, Jake Plummer...

My take is the Jets really messed this one up. Should have kept Darnold and built an actual offense around him. Built a better O line and got him some playmaker WRs, a run game. "IF" he sucked after all that, then dump him. The Jets will look even worse if the guy takes Carolina to the playoffs this season. JMO

Wilson certainly has bust potential. I think he is the most likely of any of these guys to bust - especially given the situation he is going into. But other than Lawrence I also think he is the most likely to be elite. My post Josh Allen Quarterback grading system gives a bump to guys with elite ceilings... and hence Wilson grades highly. I wouldn't be surprised in 4 years time if he is a top 5 Quarterback. I equally wouldn't be surprised if he is not a starter. Whereas I feel like with Fields, Lance and obviously Lawrence they are pretty safe bets to be capable NFL starters in 4 years time even if they are not stars. 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Wilson certainly has bust potential. I think he is the most likely of any of these guys to bust - especially given the situation he is going into. But other than Lawrence I also think he is the most likely to be elite. My post Josh Allen Quarterback grading system gives a bump to guys with elite ceilings... and hence Wilson grades highly. I wouldn't be surprised in 4 years time if he is a top 5 Quarterback. I equally wouldn't be surprised if he is not a starter. Whereas I feel like with Fields, Lance and obviously Lawrence they are pretty safe bets to be capable NFL starters in 4 years time even if they are not stars. 

Wilson is going to perhaps the most dysfunctional current NFL franchise and until the prove that they can build a team for the playoffs...they will remain one of the very worst teams in the NFL.

I keep hearing that Wilson looks like another Patrick Mahomes. Zack Wilson isn't going to an already playoff team, with a decent veteran QB to learn behind on the bench for a season. He also won't be coached by Andy Reid.

He is going to step into chaos on day one and a big question in my view will be can he survive with his slight build?

Until I see different, I see this team as the dumpster fire of the AFC.