Good Article on iDL Ranked by NFL Scouts

TPS

TheAthletic has a very good series by Bob McGinn who interviews scouts and asks them to rank prospects at different positions.  It's paywalled.  Some telling and related quotes: 

https://theathletic.com/2541039/2021/04/25/ranking-top-defensive-linemen-in-2021-nfl-draft-bob-mcginns-grades/

“Probably the (weakest) group of interior (defensive) linemen in several decades,” said an NFL decision-maker with 20-plus years of carrying a stopwatch. “With 1-techniques, I don’t even know who people would be talking about. There aren’t any.”

Barmore is ranked #1. The biggest issue with the group as a whole and a word used a lot is inconsistency.

On Shelvin who was selected in R2 by the TSW 2.0 Mock: 

You’ll have to have some real conversations about him. I would take him,” said a second scout. “He plays at 345, 350. Comes in heavier during the offseason. His weight is his biggest issue.”

After redshirting in 2017 to become academically eligible, the Lafayette, La., native was limited to six games in ’18 due to discipline and weight issues. Two teams said they removed him from consideration because of those reasons.

On Alim McNeill:

“He can hold point,” said one scout. “He’s strong. He’ll start in the league.” “He’s a pure nose tackle. He’s short, but he’s thick and he’s athletic.”

An interesting prospect (and my favorite now) projected for R5, Khyiris Tonga: 

"He might be the best of the nose tackles. He plays hard. Somebody just has to teach him that you just have to tackle the guy, not kill the guy.”

Edited by TPS
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The Bob McGinn series of draft articles have been must read the past few years on The Athletic. It's always interesting to me to see the wide range of comments and opinions on each player. Other than Pitts, where there was unanimous praise, they are all over the place on almost everyone else. Some are nitpickier than others but it is still an interesting read. It's sometimes hard to believe scouts and league personnel people can watch the same guy and have such disparate views on what they've seen

Edited by BubbaT
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For any of these players they would need to have long discussion with DL coach and training staff to have them understand that if Bills selected them the player would need to attend OTAs so coaches and training staff would work with them to get them in NFL shape and Bills were not planning on "redshirting" player.