Munoz quits

NFL | Munoz Quits Football after Going Undrafted - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:23:18 -0700

Associated Press reports former Tennessee OT Michael Munoz, son of NFL Hall of Fame OL Anthony Munoz, said he has decided to quit football after not being selected in the 2005 NFL Draft.

Headline article in the sports section of the Dayton Daily News this morning was about Mike Munoz' decision to leave football. Apparently Cincy was very interested in signing him as a free agent. As I read it, I couldn't help but get the feeling that Mike was living his father's dream and not his own. Anthony seemed very bitter, but from Mike's brief statement he seemed at peace with the decision. All the negative, whiny comments I saw were from Anthony. Mike's sister played basketball for Ohio St. and decided not to play her senior year coming up because she has had ankle injuiries each of her first three years. They have a quote from Anthony saying that with his daughter leaving sports recently and now his son, it's a very difficult time. For who? Both kids are smart and have done well in school. They will have great non-sports careers ahead of them.

i've been so busy the past month i have been away from the stadium wall and all things football. never was i more unpepared for an nfl draft than this year. i hardly got to follow it.

i was, before the draft, hoping wwe would grab munoz,jr. just his genes and mcnally made me think that he would be a great fit. i thought he was gonna go in the 3-4 round but it looks like he didn't even get picked? is this the case?

i've been so busy the past month i have been away from the stadium wall and all things football.  never was i more unpepared for an nfl draft than this year.  i hardly got to follow it. 

i was, before the draft, hoping wwe would grab munoz,jr.  just his genes and mcnally made me think that he would be a great fit.  i thought he was gonna go in the 3-4 round but it looks like he didn't even get picked?  is this the case?

320610[/snapback]

The search button is your friend :lol:

CW

It is hard to go from being in a big time college program to a walk on in a NFL training camp. I do not blame him. Basically he is saying, you had your chance, now I will move on to bigger and better things. I know it hurts his dad, but if his dad wanted his son to play that badly, he could have gotten Cincy to take him in the 7th round.

It is hard to go from being in a big time college program to a walk on in a NFL training camp.  I do not blame him.  Basically he is saying, you had your chance, now I will move on to bigger and better things.  I know it hurts his dad, but if his dad wanted his son to play that badly, he could have gotten Cincy to take him in the 7th round.

320709[/snapback]

My guess is that the hard thing here may actually be that it is hard for a kid to live their own lives than to have their parents live vicariously through them.

I'm sure I'm wrong in big ways because I don't know them, but from the outside it looks like both the Munoz daughter who is quitting due to reccurring injury and the Munoz son who is taking the "oportunity" of not getting drafted to go his own way are both getting the positive of moving forward outside of the lengthy shadow cast by Dad's athletic career.

It's a tough thing for a kid because they have both gotten the benefits of the big bucks earned by Dad, seen the worship and the validation of society and family for Dad because of his athletic achievement, and we all (well mostly all) want to please our parents.

However, there is the odd coincidence of both kids having moved toward or achieved the end of their college careers and gave it the good try but saw their sports dreams not realized due to injury and because of the draft.

They fulfilled their contract with the parents and here is wishing them well in moving forward with fun and aggression in their new lives as adults.

It is hard to go from being in a big time college program to a walk on in a NFL training camp.  I do not blame him.  Basically he is saying, you had your chance, now I will move on to bigger and better things.  I know it hurts his dad, but if his dad wanted his son to play that badly, he could have gotten Cincy to take him in the 7th round.

320709[/snapback]

Some of the local sports folks claim that the B'gals offered him a FA contract. Dunno. The folks around here wish him and his sister only the best. Both are very good students, well-spoken, and there's not an ounce of conceit in them.

What bothers me is that he had dought after he wasn't drafted? What if he was drafted? Collect a big payday and ...quit? It seems to me that he was hoping to hit the lottery, sign a big contract and go through the motions. IMO he missrepresented himself.

Jeff

What bothers me is that he had dought after he wasn't drafted? What if he was drafted? Collect a big payday and ...quit? It seems to me that he was hoping to hit the lottery, sign a big contract and go through the motions. IMO he missrepresented himself.

Jeff

320857[/snapback]

What makes you say that? Teams were concerned with his physical condition and acted accordingly.

He, like his father, is an honorable man. Such people exist... :(

What makes you say that?  Teams were concerned with his physical condition and acted accordingly.

He, like his father, is an honorable man.  Such people exist... :(

320868[/snapback]

Woo, I didn't mean to hurt you. I was talking about MM. You can't tell me that there wasn't dought before the draft? All I'm saying if he didn't want to play football why did he enter the draft?

Jeff

Shaud Williams comments about being a UDFA were interesting to me. From his perspective (as I understand it) once you are not picked on the 1st day, if you believe in your talents as an athlete, you are better off not being drafted.

Teams make a commitment to 1st day selections that they are going to get a big enough bonus that through pro-ration they are going to be on the team for the length of their original contract rather than have the team cut them and absorb an accelerated cap hit. Its a reasonable risk for a team because these players are judged by you to be good and you picked them from among a number of choices to occupy a particular starting role.

However, as the second day moves on, players are still chosen with a starting need in mind, but with general athleticism acquired cheaply to play ST as a major motivator.

He felt that by not being selected in the draft, as a UDFA he got to shop his talents for the best place for him to make the team rather than trade being restrained and him going to a city or team by force rather than by choice.

He actually felt good (and it worked out) not getting drafted because he then got to make choices about where he would stick.

This sounds the same for Muniz (particularly if Cincy was talking about giving him an offer) as his retirement after not being drafted sounds like he has actually chosen to pursue his own life rather than his Dad's life. In a perfect world he would get selected on the first day, but the world ain't perfect and he actually has more options to succeed at being his Dad by not being drafted if he is good enough.

Woo, I didn't mean to hurt you. I was talking about MM. You can't tell me that there wasn't dought before the draft? All I'm saying if he didn't want to play football why did he enter the draft?

Jeff

320877[/snapback]

No hurt! :(

But you comments seemed to be saying that he had a devious plan to get drafted, cash in, then bolt. He certainly wanted to play - why not? - but when the league declined him, he stood up like a man, made his decision and moved on.

Maybe Not.

NFL | Munoz May Not be Done with Football After all - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:39:44 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports undrafted rookie free agent OL Michael Munoz (knee, shoulder) may not be done with football after all. His agent, Robb Nelson, has fielded enough calls about him to sign as a free agent, which is causing him to rethink his retirement.

Maybe Not.

NFL | Munoz May Not be Done with Football After all - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:39:44 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports undrafted rookie free agent OL Michael Munoz (knee, shoulder) may not be done with football after all. His agent, Robb Nelson, has fielded enough calls about him to sign as a free agent, which is causing him to rethink his retirement.

320967[/snapback]

That was my first thought and post right after I heard the news: This has Eric Crouch and three changes of mind written all over it.

Jeff

320857[/snapback]

You mean like Mike Williams?