Athletic article: "Tracking Stefon Diggs’ every move in the Bills’ opener"

This is one of the best Athletic articles I've read and is worth the $1 trial subscription alone... some excerpts... mods delete if you think this is too much, but it might be 1/3rd of the article at most:

https://theathletic.com/2064066/2020/09/13/major-energy-all-day-tracking-stefon-diggs-every-move-in-the-bills-opener/?source=user-shared-article

‘Major energy all day!’: Tracking Stefon Diggs’ every move in the Bills’ opener

Just before 11 a.m. ET, Diggs made his way onto the field in a white, long sleeve Bills shirt and short gray shorts. He and Josh Allen started getting some early reps before the game begins. Both Allen and Diggs spoke about how much they were playing catchup in an abbreviated offseason and how their connection was still “a work in progress.”

They knew they would need every rep they could get, so Diggs and Allen took it right up to game day. For a while in warmups, Diggs was the only player to whom Allen was throwing. The two started with out-breaking routes. After each throw and catch, Diggs and Allen would come together for a quick conversation on what they just ran and what they would run next.

First quarter

After the first drive, Diggs took his spot on the bench and was vocal with his fellow receivers. He and Isaiah McKenzie had a long conversation before Diggs turned to rookie Gabriel Davis. When the offense was getting ready to head back onto the field for its second drive, Diggs made his way around to each player to fire them up.

“I was extremely excited,” Diggs said. “Energy just comes from within, for real. Just trying to demand the best at all times and trying to push the guys around me.”

If the lack of a crowd sapped the Bills of some of their energy, Diggs did what he could to make up for it.

“Major energy all day!” running back Devin Singletary said after the game. “He had major energy all day.”

Brian Daboll put some extra offensive linemen in the game. Josh Allen ran a bootleg in for a touchdown. Diggs was waiting on the sideline ready with high-fives for Allen and the linemen.

After a quick celebration, Diggs found Allen for a quick conversation.

“He’s still got a little bit of a kid in him,” Diggs said after the game. “So when he’s out there, he’s out there having fun and I enjoy it. I’m always in his ear kind of like, ‘Keep that positive energy going,’ just because I can’t imagine how hard it is to play quarterback. But when I see him out there having a good time, it gives me a little bit of a push in the back and a a little bit motivation to say, you want to play for this guy. You want to go hard for this guy because he’s damn sure gonna go hard for you.”

Second quarter

Allen audibled into the screen pass for the touchdown.

“They actually kind of played us different from how they played us last year,” Brown said. “It was something we had to adjust to. With Stefon Diggs here, Davis and Cole Beasley, there was a lot of things opening up for us. They went a lot of Cover 2. That’s what they normally play, but we definitely got a lot of that with Stefon Diggs being in the mix.”

Third quarter

Diggs’ energy shined through again in that moment. After a conversation with receivers coach Chad Hall, Diggs made his way around the sideline offering up high-fives to anyone who would take them.

Diggs was hardly ever off to the side by himself on Sunday. He was always moving around and making the most of his time on the sideline. Every offensive player mentioned Diggs’ nonstop energy.

“I think that is an understatement,” center Mitch Morse said. “He brings a lot of juice. Even when it’s the kind of juice where he’s getting on guys, it’s not in a detrimental way. He brings out the best in guys in the huddle. Very fond of Stefon and the energy he brought today. I’m really happy that we have him on our team and would love to build on that. He fuels the fire sometimes. Sometimes you have to fuel it based on the ebbs and flows of the game. He felt it, and very happy with him and the positive energy he brought even when stuff was starting to go sideways in the third quarter.”

Fourth quarter

Diggs got stronger as this game went on. His 27-yard fourth-quarter catch was his best of the day and helped the Bills put the Jets away. For a player who just started learning this offense, Diggs had the full trust of Daboll. Diggs was all over the field, distributing his routes nearly evenly in the slot, split right and split left. That kept the Jets guessing and helped Daboll scheme ways to get Diggs open.

“He’s the mastermind,” Diggs said. “He knows his stuff as far as getting me involved and doing everything. I’m more than thankful but more so from the standpoint of he got everybody involved. A lot of people touched the ball today. And you anticipate it being that way. We got a lot of weapons offensively and we got a mobile quarterback. Just kind of playing to our strengths.”

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2