1st round QB's

Just reading this article, I wonder if there is a way to determine which position players are the saftest to pick in terms of expected results?

QB is a crapshoot that is for sure. One thing about Losman though: There is a big big differnece between getting picked as the 4th QB in the 1st round and being #1 overall or in the Top 5.

I believe the key to a young QB's success, especially in today's NFL, is to allow him to manage the offense for your team, not be the one to be expected to carry it. Look at Brady and Big Ben. When Brady first started, he was managing the offense and so was Big Ben. I hope the Bills can create the same type of situation where Losman is not being expected to win all by himself, which Im sure some QB's like Carr, Eli, and other top top picks feel when they are picked so high.

I can't believe that Tim Couch is out of football.  That is hillarious.  WOW!!  The Brownies have sucked in their drafts in recent years.  Amazing! :huh:

311611[/snapback]

Bad shoulder. IIRC, he's still battling with GB about an injury settlement.

Don't be so hard on Couch - thrown into the fray as a rookie, never had much of an OL, or much RB support to halt defenses from teeing off on him for most of a game, suffered through numerous big hits, and had a series of bozo coaches. He tossed a lot of good balls to Kevin Johnson for a few seasons.

Months? I've given this rant for years and still Bills partisans launch into diatribes about how picking a player like Harrington is a no-brainer for us.

They seemed unmoved by the facts such as Aikman being the last 1st round QB to lead the team which picked him in 1989 tio an SB win. Folks want to declare Trent Dilfer as an aberration which he was, but the teams which have won the SB since Dallas are finding their version of an aberration among failed cap casualties (Johnson, Dilfer), among UDFAs whose recent work was as a box-boy at Wal-Mart (Warner), trade bait (Elway, Farve) or late round draftees (Brady) and never from 1st round picks.

The draft is a fun event. but picking a QB in the first is not a reasonable method for producing an SB winner (or usually even an SB appearance- McNabb finally broke a streak that was saw the last appearance by Steve McNair leading a team in 1999. Once every 5 years does not cut it for this huge investment to simply appear there. I'd rather spend chump change on a UDFA like Jake Delhomme.

Manning Schmanning. He is the best QB in the league right now but this has not translated into the ultimate goal of an SB win or even appearance. His cap drag is so huge that even with the help of one of the best GMs in the league to acquire a supporting cast, the best WR and a good RB to make the O work, one of the more reliable PKs in the league to gurantee them at least 3 and one of the best defensive HCs in the league to make up for the non-investment on D this team cannot even get the homefield advantage necessary to make them win. It was n;y season before last that Manning pulled ahead of Ryan Leaf fordelivering playoff wins to the team which drafted him.

He's a stud and a rich stud ut a disappointing rich stud and I'm glad the Bills have not devoted their #4 and #13 picks to QBs. We'll see how the Losman pick works out and I am hopeful (though scared) that by making him the second player we took, giving him a year to learn the game, and MM saying that our strategy is to run and then run again that we can work with JP to make him the exception that proves the rule.