The Devil Always Tells You What You Want To Hear

Looking at religious texts, folk stories, epic poems/stories from any civilization (Judaic/Hindu/Sumerian/Scandanavian etc), I can't find much for a source where the Devil/ Chaos God/ God of destruction (The Devil) doesn't promise whatever is wanted to a new follower, despite the outcome

'The Monkey's Paw (W.W. Jacobs)' is a great modern story, non religious example of the common theme I am espousing here, for those of you non religious types. I suggest you read it if you haven't. The Monkey's Paw used to be required reading in most school districts.

The classic tale is of a poor person, or person beset by debt (protagonist) looking to have what the' better off' have. They feel they have been wronged by society and circumstance and deserve better.

In an hour of need 'the poor' protagonist calls on the Devil/ or an equivalent antagonistic device to summon a demon to provide assistance. "I want what x has" is the common refrain from the protagonist.

Through a pact or promise of willing / or unwilling evil precept, the poor person agrees to terms for monetary abundance and gain, no effort and no promises made. These are almost always short lived, and carry terrible consequences.

See Civil Rights Act of 1964, when the real 'Big Switch' actually happened, if you believe in it at all.

Something for nothing, except votes. Redistribution of wealth forced by the Federal Govt.

This is when the Democrat Party first turned against the middle class in the USA.

****************************************************************************************************************

I have yet, in any society, seen the Devil encourage hard work and a plan to get ahead. Could you imagine this? It would make for a ***** story.

Protagonist: I want what 'x' has right now.

Devil: "Well 'x' is a doctor and of three generations of doctors. To become a doctor that will take you 4-8 yrs study in medicine. After that you will have to pass an exam and finish grad school and a residency in medicine. It will take you 4-8 years of hard work to be certified. Is that what you want?"

**************************************************************************************************************

'The Devil' promises something for nothing. Does this sound familiar? Just asking.

The honest person tells you the truth and espouses the power of personal liberty and decision making. Het He or she is hated.

You may not like people like Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder, or Candace Owens, telling you that it it will take hard work, and yes there is some racism, but t can be overcome by hard work. These people are honest. They do not promise something for nothing, but they lay out a roadmap on how to succeed as a black American. Listen to them.

***************************************************************************************************************

In the old days classical liberals used to try to answer:

I want what 'x' has. Can you provide an equal playing field, so that I can earn what 'X' earned through my own hard work.

The argument used to be among classical liberals as to how to provide a level playing field.

Modern leftists ask:

I want what 'x' has, how can we institutionally take away from 'x' and give it to 'y' since everything else is racist.

Yes this breeds resentment among 'x' who has worked hard for what they have, but anyone trying to keep what they

have earned is now called a racist.

If a politician offers you something for nothing, think twice. You pay the price in violence in your cities.

Real progress requires hard work on the behalf of individuals, no matter what you are called.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see this when originally posted, but I'm going to bump it back up since it certainly hits on current issues.

And to add a bit, there has been talk for years of raising the rest of the world to USA standards. However, as all of you should know, that is pretty much impossible.

But it is certainly possible to lower the USA to the rest of the world standards.... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Cinga said:

I didn't see this when originally posted, but I'm going to bump it back up since it certainly hits on current issues.

And to add a bit, there has been talk for years of raising the rest of the world to USA standards. However, as all of you should know, that is pretty much impossible.

But it is certainly possible to lower the USA to the rest of the world standards.... 

I didn't see this either. Did it come from OTW? Regardless, it was an excellent OP.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1