Forgotten Man - Rod Trafford

Don't laugh just yet. He reportedly looked good in pre-season last year and was a late cut. The Bills brought him back when injuries hit late in the season. He must have shown them something. Any speculation as to whether he might make the team? Has anyone more knowledgeable then I seen enough to assess his chances?

Here's a few things about Rod from last summer. The all-state QB stuff made me wonder if he could be a "slash" guy for the Bills.

Sorry, could not find the link but I had the article...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

College: Played at the University of South Carolina, including three seasons for Lou Holtz. ... Was on team that went 0-11 in 1999 to 8-4 and 9-3 the next two seasons, winning bowl games. ... Was All-State quarterback at Delbarton High School in New Jersey. Threw for 2,800 yards and 30 TDs in his career.

Leo Roth

Staff writer

(August 31, 2004) — ORCHARD PARK — Rod Trafford said playing football at the University of South Carolina for legendary coach Lou Holtz was a rich experience.

How rich?

"People pay $20,000 a pop to hear Lou Holtz speak and I got to hear his speeches for free for three years," said Trafford, a free agent tight end for the Buffalo Bills. "It's really like a performance when he's up there but he has such great messages. I was very fortunate to be with him, turn a program around, and be able to talk about it today."

Trafford would love a similar experience with Mike Mularkey, who is attempting to turn around a 6-10 Bills team in his first season as an NFL head coach.

After joining the Bills' practice squad in November, Trafford, 25, from Morristown, N.J., has turned heads this summer by playing more plays at tight end and H-back than any of the five players at his position in training camp. With NFL teams mandated to trim their rosters to 65 by today, the dreaded numbers game has arrived for Trafford, who plays with obvious joy.

Without making any promises, Mularkey wasn't afraid to pay Trafford a strong compliment.

"He should be able to play in this league, I think that right now," said Mularkey, who played nine seasons in the NFL at the same position. "If desire's not enough, you've seen flashes that he's got talent enough.

"Rod is playing his tail off and I like guys who play hard," added Mularkey, who pretty much described his own style. "He constantly wants to learn and he does what we ask. He's been pretty solid, all through spring and now. He's an interesting guy."

Holtz thought so, too.

A one-time walk-on quarterback under former Gamecocks coach Brad Scott, Trafford's college career ran the gamut. He was part of South Carolina's 21-game losing streak — 0-10 under Scott and 0-11 under Holtz in Holtz's first season.

But in 2000 and 2001, Trafford started on teams that finished 8-4 and 9-3 and twice capped the season with wins over Ohio State in the Outback Bowl. Those 17 victories represented the most successful two-year period in South Carolina football history.

"He came in and just basically whipped us into shape," said Trafford of Holtz, the eighth-winningest coach in college football history who rose to fame during his 11 seasons at Notre Dame.

"I remember the first meeting he scared the crap out of us. Guys were slouching in their chairs and he yelled, 'Get your butts up!' It took a while for people like myself to buy into his little thing he had going, his system, but once everyone did, you could see the success."

What was Holtz' message?

"He said he was starting a new train service and said 'You're either jumping on our getting kicked off.' That was his bottom line. Guys had to change and believe in his system, the whole team concept, or you'd be left behind. He was a huge motivator. We did some pretty unusual things."

Like meditate each Friday night. You know, see the ball, be the ball.

"He'd turn the lights off in the locker room and have everyone lay down for these visualization sessions," Trafford said. "He'd tell us some pretty unbelievable stories from the past."

Trafford, who was an All-State high school player in New Jersey, has been working on a good story of his own.

After college, he was out of football for a year but later signed with the New England Patriots, who assigned him to NFL Europe.

"It was an awesome experience," said Trafford, a free spirit who played in Scotland. "I didn't want to come home. If I wasn't playing football and trying to make it in the NFL, I'd be traveling Europe and doing something crazy so it was nice to be able to get a little taste of both."

Trafford grew up on the Jersey shore doing all the beach sports; he's an avid surfer and fisherman. But he's no laid-back beach bum when it comes to blocking and muscling his way free to catch passes in the red zone.

"I can turn it on and off pretty good," Trafford said. "When off the field or doing other things, you wouldn't know I play football. But I'm totally serious about this sport. I can be a (jerk) on the field. It's a business and there are times to do what you're supposed to and carry out the things you are taught. At the same time, you've got to have fun with it."

After going to camp with the Patriots last year, Trafford was released but earned tryouts with Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Seattle and Buffalo. With cut down time here again, he knows the drill.

On Monday, he was still practicing hard and with a smile on his face.

"You can beat yourself up and kill your whole psyche if you keeping thinking, 'What's going to happen to me?'" he said.

"I try not to even think about it. I just appreciate the opportunity I have each day I come out here."

No - I don't think he'll make the team. The reason he was brought back during the season when Campbell and Euhus went down is because he already knew the system. He's good, but he's undersized for a TE and didn't contribute much on special teams, which is where he'd need to have the greatest impact if they kept him as the 3rd TE.

No - I don't think he'll make the team.  The reason he was brought back during the season when Campbell and Euhus went down is because he already knew the system.  He's good, but he's undersized for a TE and didn't contribute much on special teams, which is where he'd need to have the greatest impact if they kept him as the 3rd TE.

307369[/snapback]

:doh: Thanks for an intelligent, knowledgeable reply to my question. That makes 2 of 6 - which is about par, I guess.

hahahaha....... oh yeah.... and make that 2 out of 7 now buddy....

307557[/snapback]

That's two out of eight, I'll give you this - you are consistent (and you just proved my point). Anyway, thanks for the two posts that addressed my question.

Don't laugh just yet. He reportedly looked good in pre-season last year and was a late cut. The Bills brought him back when injuries hit late in the season. He must have shown them something. Any speculation as to whether he might make the team? Has anyone more knowledgeable then I seen enough to assess his chances?

307100[/snapback]

bob.... how did i prove your point.... what point are you trying to make here, i said this whole topic doesnt matter..... i guess its me

bob.... how did i prove your point.... what point are you trying to make here, i said this whole topic doesnt matter..... i guess its me

307674[/snapback]

No big deal, we just see it differently.

This is a slow time for Bills talk about players currently on the roster, so I asked the question. I was interested in Trafford - I watched him play in college (South Carolina). Two posters also apparently had some interest and provided their perceptions/insights, which I appreciate. If the topic doesn't matter to you (which I can understand since you have not followed him and he is certainly a longshot to make the roster), fine. But then why bother to even read the post (which was clearly stated) and then respond with "Who cares"? Personally, I don't have any interest in reading about or posting about some offensive lineman project from _____ who might be a good pick in Round 5 (a 1 in 1000 possibility to ever happen). So I just don't do it.

Anyway, no offense intended.

who the hell is rod trafford and why is there a thread about him?

308021[/snapback]

bob.... this makes two of us and proves my point more.... nobody cares about rod trafford at this time thats all im saying. i agree with you he is an interesting prospect and i will follow him this summer but right now, with the draft in less than a week, and cuts 3 months away, why does this matter now? thats all im saying.

307100[/snapback]

I liked Trafford in training camp last year, but as someone else already posted, he porbably has to bulk up a little. Assuming Campbell & Euhus are ready to go at the beginning of the season, it would come down to Neufeld & Trafford for the 3rd TE spot, unless the Bills use another draft pick on one.

PS I for one appreciate the thread on Trafford. How many TH threads can one person take in a given day? :D