Ah, Those Fiscally Conservative Republicans

Because We Can't Prioritize, We're Tapping the Permanent Fund

BTW, because of high oil prices there is a projected surplus in the state's coffer this year of nearly a half billion dollars. They're ALSO planning on spending that.

This is the result of one political party having absolute rule and their lemming followers doing nothing more than shrugging their shoulders in response.

Half the eight Democrats opposed it, but the prospect of getting school construction for their districts won the support of the Bush Democrats.

"Bush Democrats"? :(

Can't say I've met too many of those!

BTW, because of high oil prices there is a projected surplus in the state's coffer this year of nearly a half billion dollars.  They're ALSO planning on spending that.

This is the result of one political party having absolute rule and their lemming followers doing nothing more than shrugging their shoulders in response.

305129[/snapback]

Ding ding ding ding ding ding.

BTW, because of high oil prices there is a projected surplus in the state's coffer this year of nearly a half billion dollars.  They're ALSO planning on spending that.

305129[/snapback]

What exactly is the Permanent Fund? Is it anything more than the bucket of money from which Alaskans get their dividends paid?

What exactly is the Permanent Fund?  Is it anything more than the bucket of money from which Alaskans get their dividends paid?

305297[/snapback]

A wealthy hairdresser, a native Alaskan, left his entire estate to his home state to ensure that every Alaskan got free hair styling for life... :doh:

Alaska's Permanent Fund

305354[/snapback]

Welllll...technically, according to the law, they're not explicitly forbidden from appropriating the money if they take it out of the fund's income rather than assets, right?

That, of course, is aside from the likelihood that they actually ARE taking the cash from the original assets of the fund rather than the income (since their justification is "we have a surplus due to high oil prices", I highly doubt that $300+ million represents investment income). And aside from the fact that it's a blisteringly stupid precedent to set.

Stupidest thing I've read since AKC told me I was an unpatriotic little monkey.  *SPLAT*

305439[/snapback]

Its okay, anyone that disagrees with AKC or posts a satirical comment on his threads to make a point obviously made a "pointless" post.

Welllll...technically, according to the law, they're not explicitly forbidden from appropriating the money if they take it out of the fund's income rather than assets, right? 

That, of course, is aside from the likelihood that they actually ARE taking the cash from the original assets of the fund rather than the income (since their justification is "we have a surplus due to high oil prices", I highly doubt that $300+ million represents investment income).  And aside from the fact that it's a blisteringly stupid precedent to set.

305436[/snapback]

The basis of the fund is currently worth over $30,000,000,000.00

A wealthy hairdresser, a native Alaskan, left his entire estate to his home state to ensure that every Alaskan got free hair styling for life...  :doh:

305372[/snapback]

I don't know about that one. Have you seen AD's haircut?

I don't know about that one.  Have you seen AD's haircut?

305630[/snapback]

Well, see that's the problem. They're spending too much of the money on other stuff so they stopped subsidizing the hair dressers and did a lifetime buy of Flowbee's from some guy who was liquidating them off of one of those shopping channels, and handed them out instead. Those people are lucky because the next generation will just get bowls....

:doh: