Cole Beasley Podcast on Ravens game, Bills playbook

6 hours ago, DJB said:

We could have Tony Gonzalez and Jerry Rice  it doesn't change the play calling which has been subpar 

Serious. Daboll is a bad play caller. Too predictable and doesn't cater the offence to exploit the D well enough. 

The 3 plays in the red zone last week against Pittsburgh with Gore was horrendous 

There is little that is predictable about the Bills offense. They have few tendencies, built a steadily improving offense from scratch and each week have brand new plays and scheme.  

You can complain about the post interception play calling, but on the first set of downs they got a first down; in the second set, the second play was a half back pass that has worked before and certainly not predictable. On the third down, Singletary had a clear lane to the end zone but Watt made a great TD saving tackle. 

Over the the last few weeks the Bills scored 26 in Dallas, 17 against the Ravens (best D) and 17 in Pittsburgh.  That’s at worst, not bad. 

Before going a suicide crusade you may want to reevaluate your fury. 

39 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

There is little that is predictable about the Bills offense. They have few tendencies, built a steadily improving offense from scratch and each week have brand new plays and scheme.  

Can you say more about this?  Because earlier in the season it was noted that they had some very strong tendencies - for example, that they ran very little out of shotgun.  Or that they ran a limited play set with certain personnel on the field.

I'm not in the "Daboll must go/Daboll is a bad play caller" camp.  I certainly don't agree with the OP to which you're replying that he doesn't cater the O to exploit the D; my concern is that he's too abstract about it, too focused on what ought to work the best as a matter of X's and O's and not attuned enough to the real capabilities of his Jimmies and Joes.

39 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

You can complain about the post interception play calling, but on the first set of downs they got a first down; in the second set, the second play was a half back pass that has worked before and certainly not predictable. On the third down, Singletary had a clear lane to the end zone but Watt made a great TD saving tackle. 

Over the the last few weeks the Bills scored 26 in Dallas, 17 against the Ravens (best D) and 17 in Pittsburgh.  That’s at worst, not bad. 

Before going a suicide crusade you may want to reevaluate your fury. 

I have spoken about this to those who do not think  how Coaches set up game to game week to week yet still consider what they will show or not.

and with a new Offense lining up ? a lot must be trial and error.

and as some know, execution vs calling plays with an ability to execute  them can be a tightrope act : )

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you say more about this?  Because earlier in the season it was noted that they had some very strong tendencies - for example, that they ran very little out of shotgun.  Or that they ran a limited play set with certain personnel on the field.

the jet sweeps and RO plays ?

Edited by 3rdand12

I think letting Josh read the defense was part of the early experiment. Some hand holding there.
When Daboll went upstairs Josh was allowed to move out of a play call more often. Sure he was starting to do that earlier.

But the early games had some script to them for sure. Lot of fast growth/learning imo happened this year on offense and still much to go into next season

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not in the "Daboll must go/Daboll is a bad play caller" camp.  I certainly don't agree with the OP to which you're replying that he doesn't cater the O to exploit the D; my concern is that he's too abstract about it, too focused on what ought to work the best as a matter of X's and O's and not attuned enough to the real capabilities of his Jimmies and Joes.

The most predictable tendency is with Gore on the field it’s often a run between the tackles. Rarely and without much success, Gore will run outside and he’s not a threat to run a pass route. Other than that particular personnel limitation I don’t believe the Bills have many predictable tendencies. 

On successive set of downs (in hurry up!) the offense will run several times in a row using a variety of schemes and personnel (jet sweeps - often technically at pass, RPO, designed QB runs, off tackle, etc); the next set of downs could be all pass plays to all sections of the field to five different receivers. Early in the season McKenzie seem to appear only for jet sweeps but they have made him a receiving threat of late. Looked like the Bills tried to do the same with Foster, he had a few nice plays vs Denver and Cowboys but tweaked his hamstring(?)and he hasn’t played much since; and hopefully Kroft will begin to add another dimension in the pass game. 

Two deficiencies in the pass game is poor team execution on screens and Allen’s problem with the deep ball. However, that hasn’t stopped Daboll from mixing them in to keep the Defense honest. 

At at least once a game the Bills use a play they haven’t run before and most of them work in key situations (see John Brown tD toss). 

Young, inexperienced and not many superstars?  Sure. Predictable?  Hardly. 

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

The most predictable tendency is with Gore on the field it’s often a run between the tackles. Rarely and without much success, Gore will run outside and he’s not a threat to run a pass route. Other than that particular personnel limitation I don’t believe the Bills have many predictable tendencies. 

On successive set of downs (in hurry up!) the offense will run several times in a row using a variety of schemes and personnel (jet sweeps - often technically at pass, RPO, designed QB runs, off tackle, etc); the next set of downs could be all pass plays to all sections of the field to five different receivers. Early in the season McKenzie seem to appear only for jet sweeps but they have made him a receiving threat of late. Looked like the Bills tried to do the same with Foster, he had a few nice plays vs Denver and Cowboys but tweaked his hamstring(?)and he hasn’t played much since; and hopefully Kroft will begin to add another dimension in the pass game. 

Two deficiencies in the pass game is poor team execution on screens and Allen’s problem with the deep ball. However, that hasn’t stopped Daboll from mixing them in to keep the Defense honest. 

At at least once a game the Bills use a play they haven’t run before and most of them work in key situations (see John Brown tD toss). 

Young, inexperienced and not many superstars?  Sure. Predictable?  Hardly. 

OK, thanks for your take.

I think perhaps it's better now, but I'm pretty sure that the Bills have scoutable tendencies in certain personnel packages or certain formations.

But, I'm not charting 'em so not sure.  Hope not, because Belicheck is very very good at IDing such and cooking up a special sauce to counter.