Stream WGR????

Ray

WEEI the Entercomm sports station in Boston has started streaming over the internet. For us transplanted WNYers WNSA going off the air was a major blow to keeping in touch with Buffalo. I'm hoping that WGR55 will now be able to stream since another Entercomm sports station is doing it--there largest sports station I believe (don't think WFAN in NYC is entercomm, but could be wrong). In the past WGR always stated they didn't stream because corporate wouldn't allow it--well now they do! Maybe there is hope.

I'm not sure of the expenses that WGR would incur if they were streaming? I know for a "music" based radio station that there are royalties involved for the songs they would be playing, but there is no music being played on a sports talk radio station, so I assume there are no royalties to pay. Therefore, I wonder what the expenses are other than a connection to the Internet which I assume they already have and a streaming media server. Even for those of us in WNY, streaming would be nice as WGR can be very difficult to bring in especially in the middle of a commercial building.

Stay Tuned ... Entercom is phasing out streaming to all markets if all goes well in the Beta markets.

295649[/snapback]

So we should all tune in to the beta ones to increase their number of listeners. link?

Oh Man I have emailed them numerous times. I get the same " our first priority is taking care of our local listeners" speech.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.......don't they realize how many fans nationwide Howard Simon would bring in from his 2 years on Empire?

I'm so sick of listening to my local radio stations here in St. Louis to hear about football. We're a baseball town...but when it comes to football......let's just say the fans have a lot to learn.

A typical call sounds like ...

" Uh Hi...I just wanted to say I think Orlando Pace is good at football . He gets paid a lot, but it's worth it because he blocks very well"

The Rams can be deep in the heart of a playoff run...but the local media will be more focused on whether or not Rick Ankiel threw a solid game in Japan.....or maybe there was a Mark McGwire sighting.

I would listen to GR550 all day if they streamed again....I think that sucks....

I have emailed them several times and would encourage you to do the same.....

http://www.wgr550.com/contact/email.php?id=07

295849[/snapback]

Out of towners who want WGR to stream, should consider calling or writing entercom instead of the local program director and see if that has more of an impact.

http://entercom.com/pages/contact.html

I would listen to GR550 all day if they streamed again...

WHY are they bringing back the greats sports broadcaster ever to grace the air waves of WNY, Chuck "The Coach" Dickerson????

I do not know the $$$$ it would take to stream but remember Entercom spent $10+ million for WNSA and the braodcast rights for the Sabres. No hockey this year so one could guess they took a bath with loss of advertising $$$$.

There is also talk of the National companies, Entercom (wgr, wben etc) and Citadel ( 97rock etc) mergering so if this is true I don't see Entercom spending any $$$$ on streaming.

I would listen to GR550 all day if they streamed again....I think that sucks....

I have emailed them several times and would encourage you to do the same.....

http://www.wgr550.com/contact/email.php?id=07

295849[/snapback]

You can e-mail all you want, but it won't do any good. The issue is a corporate matter not local. Everyone at WGR & Entercom Buffalo want to stream, but they are told they can't at this time.

You can e-mail all you want, but it won't do any good. The issue is a corporate matter not local. Everyone at WGR & Entercom Buffalo want to stream, but they are told they can't at this time.

296090[/snapback]

HELP WANTED:

Computer savy local waller with a shower radio, a microphone and no job. Where there is a will, there is a way. :huh:

296090[/snapback]

This is why I added a post in this thread to contact Entercom headquarters, if you feel your complaints locally are falling on deaf ears.