Good news re: TE if true

Allen Wilson, the Buff News Bills beat reporter does an extra bit of work (actually he gets paid twice for writing up the same reporting work he is doing for the Buffalo news) for Sporting News and posted the following which can be found on the TBD page.

COMEBACK STORY: The Bills are keeping an eye on TE Mark Campbell's recovery from reconstructive knee surgery that sidelined him for the last four games in 2004. He is several weeks into his rehabilitation, which is progressing so well the team believes he might be healthy enough to play early in training camp. The Bills are counting on Campbell's return because he is expected to be a key part of the offense. He is a solid run blocker with the size (6-6, 255), strength and leverage to hold his own at the line of scrimmage. He's also a good receiver who runs good routes, has strong hands and a knack for finding soft spots in the secondary. If healthy, he'll be a solid receiving option for young QB J.P. Losman.

I hope this is true (right now the Bills are in the process of coming as close to the line as they can to having their future potential trade partners draw false conclusions about out draft needs, I don't think the Bills want to flat-out lie to potential future trade partners and get the rep of a bad team to deal with.

However, I think teams are happy to give some disinformation to the press and if other teams draw false conclusions then so be it.

I am pleased to hear about a speedy Campbell recovery as it may well allow us to use our draft picks and also the Henry trade bait for building the OL rather than filling a TE need. I had actually assumed that only 1 of the two injured Bills TE should be counted upon as being contributors if we got lucky (this assumption was based purely on an alleged law of averages rather than any inside info on the injuries tp the TEs.

I had actually assumed that if one of them healed faster it would probably be the younger Euhus who seemed to have the less severe of the injuries anyway. Though I do not think Campbell is the real deal at TE who will make us forget about Ben Coates, I do think he has shown flashes of good play as a recceiver and is a stable blocking presence who greatly increases our options if in fact he is healthy.

If you dont mind my asking: Why are we trying to forget about Ben "winter" coates?

The guy was a patriot lifer and I would just as soon forget about him, but i dont think the emergence of a TE in buffalo is whats gonna do it for me.

I think people are paying a lot of attention to TE position b/c Mike Mularkey is a former TE. Is there any specific insight people have re: how MM would want to use a TE in the offense? Or is it just b/c of the above fact a surmising that TE is uber-important to him and so we must trade for the Fuggin' Solja hiss-elf.

I think the roster has a pretty good set of TEs. Campbell has been quite a find. Euhus, who TD picked in the 4th round last year probably heavily w/ MM's input, was making some really nice plays before he was injured. They'll both be back and ready to go when the games count.

I think people are paying a lot of attention to TE position b/c Mike Mularkey is a former TE. Is there any specific insight people have re: how MM would want to use a TE in the offense? Or is it just b/c of the above fact a surmising that TE is uber-important to him and so we must trade for the Fuggin' Solja hiss-elf.

I think the roster has a pretty good set of TEs. Campbell has been quite a find. Euhus, who TD picked in the 4th round last year probably heavily w/ MM's input, was making some really nice plays before he was injured. They'll both be back and ready to go when the games count.

295580[/snapback]

Good news, all around. We may not need to draft or sign another TE and can use our limited resources elsewhere (like CB).

Good news, all around. We may not need to draft or sign another TE and can use our limited resources elsewhere (like CB).

295733[/snapback]

I've liked Campbell ever since the Carolina game a couple of years ago when he made an over the shouder catch just as the inverting safety BLASTED him. That was the same game in which Josh Reed dropped a TD flea flicker.

If Peters can be taught to block he will be a TE asset - no matter his jersey number.

I'd heard about Campbell's good recovery, Tim Euhus' too. They should both be at training camp. Rod Trafford is still on the roster. He'll never be a starter, but he has some athletic ability as a short term reliever (yeah I'm mixing metaphors here- or something) Then they've got a player in NFL Europe who can long snap and play some tight end. If Campbell and Euhus need a little extra time, the Bills can probably afford to give it to them.

I've liked Campbell ever since the Carolina game a couple of years ago when he made an over the shouder catch just as the inverting safety BLASTED him.

295742[/snapback]

That was against the jags.. it was a great catch and what made it great was Campbell knew the safety was lining him up.