Democrat Debates

3 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Sorry for the late response but I have been away from posting for a bit (I think some stuff is happening on TSW as  well ? ?)
He hated Hitler. He was taken from his family at a young age to be a member of the Hitler youth. Basically he said he had to go or his family disappears. He flew to Afrika often and we learned about the black market. There were a lot of Germans that hated Hitler. I took an older gentleman fishing that was smuggled out of the country in his youth as his dad was an officer that was involved in one of the plots to assassinate Hitler. His dad was executed. I hate it when today's youth compare Trump to Hitler and the border to concentration camps. There is no comparison with what went on in WW2.
Didn't mean to derail this post but I thought it somewhat narrow minded to suggest that a teacher should not interact with their students beyond the subject matter. And I did say interact, not dictate.

Good stuff.  A bad environment came out of Central Europe after the end of the First World War and the collapse of the German government.  On paper Germany had the Weimar Republic but in many areas that government barely had a presence which allowed extremism to prevail.  I was told by an ancestor who lived in that part of Europe that the Traditionalists, Communists, Fascists, and Anarchists were all vying for power.  The best way for the average person to survive there was to stay in their home to avoid these people not that it always worked.  In my mind Hitler used this fear to further his ambitions.