Is it possible to use 2 QBs in the same backfield?

Could players like this be utilized effectively? And what kind of variations could be formulated with schemes and backfields?

The size, speed, and mobility of these two players and others like them gives me the audacity to daydream of the potential. It's completely unorthodoxed and probably (and rightly so) insane, but these ARE unique type of players and MM & CO have shown in the past to be bold enough to maybe contemplate such innovative play calling.

IF such a thing were to ever occur, I think McPherson might be the better suited player to be able to perform a multi faceted position. He has more of the attributes of a Michael Vick/Kordel Stewart. Between his arm and feet, he would be able to throw like a starting QB but be able to run like a RB. I'm sure the same could be said for Jones, but McPherson does have some arena league experience under his belt that makes him a little bit more acclimated for the next level.

It's a crazy idea but the intent of this post is to think out of the box. Professional football will continue to evolve and progress. There will be changes and differences in the future. Something just seems a little bit different with these two athletes. I think that they may be the beginning of a change or a start of a new athlete. As the players change, so will the game.

So even if nothing remotely close like this happens, how about a bit of creativity with designing plays for some formations and schemes. Be Sid Gillman for just a minute and come up with a radical offense.

Now, just let me change into my abestos suit before you all start lighting up your flamethrowers. OK, I'm ready.

I'm not familiar with McPherson, and we are unlikely to draft Matt Jones. But this razzle-dazzle offensive stuff sure is fun to think about.

I have hopes the Bills will consider Fast Freddie Smith for this role. Another guy mentioned as playing QB in HS was TE Rod Trafford (i'm not even sure he is still with the Bills). But Freddie, oops, Jonathan has shown some good skills so far. Maybe he can be a slash guy for us.

Any particular wild razzle-dazzle plays you had in mind there, Tipster? And BTW wasn't JFFSmith wearing #19 in camp last year?

Oh my gosh, a response! Let me just savor it for a minute. I was hesitant to post that thought but I couldn't resist. The possibilities are endless and very exciting.

I must admit, I don't know very much with the college players but I do (like everyone else) read alot about the upcoming draftees and these two are very intriguing prospects.

What I can tell you is, I was born and raised in Rochester but the last 11+ years I live in SW Florida. So I apologize but I don't get to see what anyone is doing or wearing in camp practices. The ironic thing is now that I moved, the Bills practices are only about 20 minutes from where I grew up. Now I'm about 100 or so miles from where McPherson grew up and played high school football. He's going to be quite special himself I would expect. That's just it, he's an exceptional athlete with amazing abilities, I'm sure as in Matt Jones (6'6", 40 yd/4.39, 242 lbs., 10' 9" broad jump!) also. These guys are really gifted. The difference is, on top of these awesome athletes, we do have a bold and courageous coach who would and could utilize these young men's talents.

As far as having any special plays drawn up, I really don't. I was hoping for some input because it is such a wild and radical concept. It's thrilling to just phantom the possibilities though. To give you a rough idea though, it would be along the lines of both QBs in the backfield with the proper linemen and then maybe a QB roll-out one way then a lateral pass back to the other QB (who also is very mobile) who either has the option of running or launching a nice long tight spiral to either Moulds or Evans. Heck, it could even be the original QB recieving the ball back! I've seen Elway and Kelly land up going out for a pass. Could you imagine Losman and McPherson/Jones hooking each other up? Whew, that would be out of sight!

Well anyways, that's basically what I was referring to. How about you? Any ideas? I probably wrote too much on my own post so I better shut up now and see if anyone else would care to comment. Thanks again for your reply. Have a good night.

Could players like this be utilized effectively? And what kind of variations could be formulated with schemes and backfields?

You're not alone in this crazy thinking. I first had a similar idea many years ago and have often wondered about it since.

The idea revolves around having a couple of hybrid players with halfback's legs and instincts along with a QB's mind and arm. Throw in soft hands and the possibilities are endless.

Lining up two in the backfield could have potential for all sorts of new schemes and would drive defenses nuts.

The trick would be finding these hybrids AND having qualified backups. Assuming the offense is designed around this scenerio, backups would be a key, since without them, the whole season could be scrapped with one or two injuries.

Maybe it could be used situationally rather than as a full time offense. Now, imagine having this setup combined with the no-huddle. Holy Shiite!!!

They used to think the forward pass was a crazy idea, so who knows what the future will bring.

Coming up next: An idea centered around having a 5 man defensive front with each player standing at least 6 ft 10" tall, the dual placekicker scheme, and the hide the ball in the jersey triple reverse play.

While passing is the popular thing in today’s NFL I think teams will eventually go back to what started it all, the single wing. The QB spot has slowly been evolving to a much more athletic position. QB's are being utilized for their running ability, and the pocket passer is turning into a thing of the past.

The single wing opens up several more running options per play, and it can also be more balanced and deceptive. Think of how effective this offense could be in Atlanta. Vick in shotgun is the primary runner; he can also throw just as easy. His two backs to the right and left are TJ and Dunn, that’s three VERY dangerous running options off the bat.

I just think that more plays/formations in the future will be designed for improve. They will be loosely created to try and force defensive breakdowns. One thing I'm pretty sure about is the NFL is yet to mature in terms of formations and strategy. 20 years from now going for it on 4th down may be the norm, or QB's might take punt like snaps from shotgun.

Anything can happen.

Oops! Almost forgot, I would like to see us get one or even both of these players but only if we use them in a creative way. As far as the wild formations and such, I would like to see us use it only situational as we still run a conventional offense. I'm not clamoring for us to use this as a full time offense.