Attention NC specialty beer lovers!

In North Carolina, it is illegal to sell beers having greater than 6% abv. This translates to over 1/3 of the world's beer styles being unavailable for purchase here. HB392 will attempt to lift this restriction. The next few weeks are critical as the bill will hopefully move from the ABC committe to full assembly vote. Go here to learn more and see what you can do to help:

Pop the cap / HB392

In North Carolina, it is illegal to sell beers having greater than 6% abv. This translates to over 1/3 of the world's beer styles being unavailable for purchase here.  HB392 will attempt to lift this restriction.  The next few weeks are critical as the bill will hopefully move from the ABC committe to full assembly vote.  Go here to learn more and see what you can do to help:

Pop the cap / HB392

293229[/snapback]

6%? I think it is time to move.

Well, they can't stop you from brewing your own as long as you do not sell it, right?

Well, they can't stop you from brewing your own as long as you do not sell it, right?

293243[/snapback]

Correct. I have brewed a few 8% and up beers. However these styles are more difficult to brew and aren't everyday drinking beers so I don't make them as often. It would be nice to go to my local specialty shop and pick up a bottle of Chimay when I want one.

It would be nice to go to my local specialty shop and pick up a bottle of Chimay when I want one.

293247[/snapback]

I can. :o

I debated on brewing my own, but I do not drink enough to make it worth it. Since you are one of the redident brewmasters, can you brew just a little at a time or do you have to brew a case at least?

I can.  :devil:

I debated on brewing my own, but I do not drink enough to make it worth it. Since you are one of the redident brewmasters, can you brew just a little at a time or do you have to brew a case at least?

293250[/snapback]

Typically the smallest batch size homebrewers make is 5 gallons, but you can make as much or as little as you want. I have heard of people making one gallon batches.

If you like the bigger beer styles like Chimay you should give homebrewing a try. Those styles will keep a lot longer in bottles than a lower gravity beer and will actually improve with age like a wine.

In North Carolina, it is illegal to sell beers having greater than 6% abv. This translates to over 1/3 of the world's beer styles being unavailable for purchase here.  HB392 will attempt to lift this restriction.  The next few weeks are critical as the bill will hopefully move from the ABC committe to full assembly vote.  Go here to learn more and see what you can do to help:

Pop the cap / HB392

293229[/snapback]

You can fix an election, the bible thumpers can vote down the lotto while their children are reading 20 year old text books. But you want to try and tell me the kind of beer I can or can't drink, thats where I draw the line. I going to Capital Building and I'm bringing hell with me!!!!

Typically the smallest batch size homebrewers make is 5 gallons, but you can make as much or as little as you want.  I have heard of people making one gallon batches.

If you like the bigger beer styles like Chimay you should give homebrewing a try.  Those styles will keep a lot longer in bottles than a lower gravity beer and will actually improve with age like a wine.

293298[/snapback]

Any recommendations on equipment for the beginning brewer?

Any recommendations on equipment for the beginning brewer?

293541[/snapback]

Morebeer.com has some great starter systems. Here is an introductory kit that is easily upgradable when you catch the brewing bug.

Starter system

After getting that kit all you would need is an at least 5 gallon aluminum or stainless steel pot for boiling and some brown non twist off cap glass beer bottles. If you happen to have a propane turkey fryer you can use that for your boils and do it outside because brewing on your stove can be a little messy.

and if it's Belgian beers you like, you can pick up this kit:

Trippel

I have brewed from this exact kit before and it turned out wonderfully, but since it's such a big beer you have to let it sit awhile (a week to 10 days in primary fermentation, then maybe 3 weeks in secondary and a month to bottle condition) before you drink it.

They also give you great instructions and a good introductory book on homebrewing. If you have any questions or decide to take the plunge definitely let me know before you do and I can give you a few pointers that will make the process easier.

Also, if you have a local homebrew supply shop in your area, I'd stop in and ask questions there or do a google on homebrew clubs in your area and stop by at one of their meetings. These guys are often very eager to help beginners, also if you go to a homebrew club meeting there will undoubtedly be homebrews there to sample for yourself.

Happy brewing!