Rare that I appreciate an opinion piece from the NYT

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

No, we're not left to accept it.

Yes, it is better than living under a dictatorship.

Freedom is both fragile and precious, Joe.  It's also exceedingly rare and difficult to achieve.  It took humanity thousands of years to achieve.  Don't be so quick to discard it.

You're assuming freedom exists under a plutocratic oligarchy. I wouldn't be so hasty to make that assumption.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You're assuming freedom exists under a plutocratic oligarchy. I wouldn't be so hasty to make that assumption.

It can exist under a plutocratic oligarchy,  even though it's not a desirable system.

Under a dictatorship it cannot exist.

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It can exist under a plutocratic oligarchy,  even though it's not a desirable system.

Under a dictatorship it cannot exist.

It CAN, but I assure you it doesn't in this country.

The illusion of it may, but the actuality is different.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It CAN, but I assure you it doesn't in this country.

The illusion of it may, but the actuality is different.

Joe, in this country we enjoy the freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, freedom of the press (which I know you recognize because you rail against it in other threads), the right to bear arms, the right to peacefully assemble, the right to a trial by jury, the right to confront you accuser, etc.

Those rights are very real, and Constitutionally protected.

Make the case that we don't enjoy those rights. 

On 12/8/2018 at 7:33 AM, TPS said:

Make sure to read the entire interview...

https://promarket.org/regulators-do-nothing/

I read the entire fluff interview, and there's nothing in it that shows how increased concentration of American companies is resulting in consumer harm.  Tepper's only contention is that profits keep rising, but he can't demonstrate abuse.  So he clings to the canards of the airline and cable industries, without recognizing the industry fundamentals that drive the eventual consolidation.

If Tepper were to do honest analysis, he'd examine the economic and competitive environments over the decades and discuss the driving forces.  He didn't say one peep about the effect that loosening trade barriers had on US companies and their competitiveness.  Is the US consumer better or worse off after Toyota and others entered the US market?   These are the kind of forces that shape industry structures, and they have a far greater effect on consolidation than anything else Tepper brought up in his piece.   

He's a trader at heart, and he's probably pissed that stable profits don't give him an opportunity to trade on volatility.

14 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Joe, in this country we enjoy the freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, freedom of the press (which I know you recognize because you rail against it in other threads), the right to bear arms, the right to peacefully assemble, the right to a trial by jury, the right to confront you accuser, etc.

Those rights are very real, and Constitutionally protected.

Make the case that we don't enjoy those rights. 

Well, for certain, the right to confront your accuser and trial by jury are under assault in this country by various leftist movements who are seeking to destroy people in the public arena, rather than using the courts of law to do so. Freedom of religion is also a questionable right in this country, as there's an expanded movement to remove any religion from public spaces. The right to peacefully assemble's ALSO an issue, but only for right-aligned groups.  Who knows how long we'll have the right to bear arms, as well? We're one Democratic supermajority away from losing that.

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The right to peacefully assemble's ALSO an issue, but only for right-aligned groups.  Who knows how long we'll have the right to bear arms, as well? We're one Democratic supermajority away from losing that.

How do you think the Democrats are going to get enough of a supermajority that they can repeal Constitutional Amendments?

Not going to happen.

Just now, Koko78 said:

How do you think the Democrats are going to get enough of a supermajority that they can repeal Constitutional Amendments?

Not going to happen.

They're already working to dilute the red strongholds of texas and arizona with illegal immigrants. Once that happens, it's over for the Republicans as a threat for the presidency, and likely the Congress as well.

California is the future model for the rest of America. Single party rule.