Shady can only Shake/Bake with his Head & Shoulders

PUNT750

I have no problem with Shady.   I'm not seeing runs where I think "two years ago, he makes that cut."  

Shady's running style is based on using his quickness in space.  He has to have one man, not two, to beat, and a little space to move in.   He's rarely in any space this season.  

Like everyone else, I'm assuming they'll upgrade the offensive line next season, and then you'll see two things:  1.  The old Shady.   2.  Allen throwing from the pocket.   

12 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Sit upper deck, got a great look at how fast holes closed yesterday.  The jags front 7 are fast, as soon as a hole opened, they closed in.  

To effectively run against that type of defense, you need a north-south runner,  not a shake-and-bake type of guy.  Shady could have gained more yards most every time he hit the hole if he just ran and didn’t juke.  By the time he finished stutter stepping, the D was on him.  Would have preferred Ivory getting the ball more yesterday.

That being said, seems he has lost a half step.  Against a fast defense it’s more apparent, but it’s been all season he isn’t hitting the hole as well as he used to.  Not saying he’s washed up, last week he had a heck of a game.  Also not saying it’s entirely his fault as the offensive lines blocking isn’t great.  Just that he’s not hitting the hole like he has in the past.    

I don't think he's lost anything.   But I think you've touched on the important point, which is that MOST defenses are getting quicker.  They're playing safeties at linebacker, linebackers as DEs.  And they're scheming more.   So Shady's running style may be as effective as it was five years ago.