South Dakota Vacation

plenzmd1

Has anyone ever been to the Black Hills for vacation. I am a devoted Deadwood fan, and have been doing a lot of research on the history of Deadwood. Looks like a cool place to go. Lots of history, gambling, great outdoor stuff to do etc.

Also, saw a speacial the other night on HD NET about the best firework displays in the country and one was the Fourth Of July works over Mount Rushmore . Anybody ever been to this area of the country in the summer, or to these fireworks in particular?

Any ideas or tips. Thoughts appreciated

Yes..back when I was about 15, the parents said "hey, were going to

South Dakota this year for vacation". We were like Where? It turns out

we had a great time. Mount Rushmore (awesome!), Sioux Falls (cool town),

Black Hills, Custer S.D. and Wall Drug Stores....all must sees. My only

regret is that we didn't stop in Deadwood ... because I'm a big fan of that

show too. Go dude, you'll have a surprisingly good time.

Yes..back when I was about 15, the parents said "hey, were going to

South Dakota this year for vacation".  We were like Where?  It turns out

we had a great time. Mount Rushmore (awesome!), Sioux Falls (cool town),

Black Hills, Custer S.D. and Wall Drug Stores....all must sees.  My only

regret is that we didn't stop in Deadwood ... because I'm a big fan of that

show too.  Go dude, you'll have a surprisingly good time.

283803[/snapback]

THX for the heads up

I grew up in South Dakota and you're right, there are a lot cool things in the Black Hills. Also, Custer State Park, buffalo still roaming the range. You can also rent cabins in the Badlands National Park.

In Deadwood, the Bullock Hotel is supposed to be haunted by Seth. The No. 10 is still there too. It has a chair hanging on the wall that claims it is the one Wild Bill was shot in, but I doubt it since the No. 10 has burnt down twice.

You can also stop at the Oahe Dam in Pierre. It's the second largest earthen dam in the world.

Sioux Falls was voted as the best place to live in the U.S. a few years ago.

Just a few tidbits.

I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB from 77-81 and roamed all over the Hills. Lead (pronouned leed) is just upstream from Deadwood. The Adams museum in Deadwood and Mt. Moriah (where Calamity Jane and Wild Bill are buried) are definate musts. Spearfish Canyon with visits to Bridal Vail Falls and the little known Roughlock Falls in Savoy are also great places to visit (Hwy 14A). If you are just looking for great views or inspiring fireworks, then of course Mt. Rushmore is the place to go, especially the night narration. What are your plans, or what are you looking to do? I know the hills like the back of my hand, and have spent a great deal of time there on vacation after I left the area. If you would like to know more, feel free to ask.

I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB from 77-81 and roamed all over the Hills. 

283891[/snapback]

Must have just missed you......by a couple years. I was out there visiting my daughter's father when he was stationed there in 1975 or 1976. :lol:

Beautiful area. Rapid City was pretty cool along with all the other places mentioned above.

My dad grew up in Sioux City, IA, and to him South Dakota (and Nebraska, both right across the river) was where he and his buddies went to drink. :lol: (Iowa had a 21 drinking age even back then but SD and NE were both at 18.)

Actually, I've been to all these places as well. Custer State Park is breathtaking and a fun drive as well. Can't believe no one -- not even sodak -- has mentioned the Corn Palace in Mitchell! Or the Sturgis motorcyle rally. ;)

Thx to all for your replies. Haven't decided on a course of action yet, but when deciding on a summer vacation with the family thought this might be a good idea. My only fear is the kids are kinda young, will be 6 and 4, but, hey, its my vacation after all not theirs.

I have been to the Adams Museum webpage and started some of my research there. Great place for Deadwood fans. Lead is also discussed,. Someone mentioned the Bullock hotel, anyone stayed there. If we go, gotta stay a night there.

We went to the Black Hills for a family vacation just a couple of years ago. Our kids were 11 and 9 at the time. It was a great trip for all of us and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Corn Palace- Strange, but you've got to see it.

Wall Drug- Famous tourist trap, another must-see to believe.

Badlands- Incredible vistas...hard to imagine settlers making their way through here.

Custer State Park- Awesome! We stayed at the Blue Bell Lodge/Cabins. They had newly renovated cabins that we nicer than many hotel rooms I've stayed in. I highly recommend getting one of these. Take the open air jeep tours to see the bison herds. It's well worth it. Take the scenic drives in your own car up to the Lake and go for a swim. (Can't remember the name) There's a nice lodge up there for dinner and very cool needle formations on the drive.

Mt. Rushmore- Must see.

Crazy Horse Monument - Must see.

I went through the Black Hills on the trip home from a vacation in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. We didn't see as much as several who've already posted. We saw Mt. Rushmore and an old played out gold mine. We also drove through the Badlands and did the obligatory Wall Drug thing. The Black Hills are also not too far from The Devil's Tower in NE Wyoming. For those who don't know, that is an old core of an extinct volcano that pretty much sticks up right out of the plains. It is made up of huge basalt crystals (columnar) bunched together. It was the site of the climax to the movie, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."