Question about Washing DC License plates

Ms. Eleanor Holmes Norton is DC's non-voting representative in Congress.  She is a very erudite woman who has influence because she is smart and makes sense.

283583[/snapback]

She actually used to be able to vote, and was able to submit legislation. They then revoked that again, and I don't remember why.

Edit; Back up she is allowed to vote for the committees she sits on.

Post of the day.

283597[/snapback]

Ya know, the way to look at him was would be kinda like looking at Byran Cox. Ya know hes an idiot, but(for a felons fan) hes our idiot.

Give the man some credit, he was fifty something doing crack with a ho. At least he kept up his youthful aspirations :blink:

Some famous Marion quotes

"There are two kinds of truth. There are real truths, and there are made up truths.

What right does Congress have to go around making laws just because they deem it necessary?"

"Aside from the murders, DC has one of the lowest crime rates in the country."

More famous Barry quotes

These are actual quotes taken from Mayor Marion Barry, of Washington, D.C.

"The contagious people of Washington have stood firm against diversity during this long period of increment weather." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"I promise you a police car on every sidewalk." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"B word set me up." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"I am clearly more popular than Reagan. I am in my third term. Where's Reagan? Gone after two! Defeated by George Bush and Michael Dukakis no less." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"The laws in this city are clearly racist. All laws are racist. The law of gravity is racist." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"I am making this trip to Africa because Washington is an international city, just like Tokyo, Nigeria or Israel. As mayor, I am an international symbol. Can you deny that to Africa?" -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"People have criticized me because my security detail is larger than the president's. But you must ask yourself: are there more people who want to kill me than who want to kill the president? I can assure you there are." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"The brave men who died in Vietnam, more than 100% of which were black, were the ultimate sacrifice." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"I read a funny story about how the Republicans freed the slaves. The Republicans are the ones who created slavery by law in the 1600's. Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves and he was not a Republican." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"What right does Congress have to go around making laws just because they deem it necessary?" -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then? WOULD IT!?!" -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

"I am a great mayor; I am an upstanding Christian man; I am an intelligent man; I am a deeply educated man; I am a humble man." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

---

As a D.C. resident, I do think it is annoying we don't have ONE representative (I don't even think a Senator is necessary just one representative in the House).  I don't think it would change that much but it's the principle of the whole thing.  Even states with tiny populations have 3 Congressmen.

283396[/snapback]

I think one representative would be a fair compromise. However, you at least get to have 535 of your own residents in Congress.

If DC wants to have reps and senators though, why don't they offer to join back with Maryland?

I think one representative would be a fair compromise. However, you at least get to have 535 of your own residents in Congress.

If DC wants to have reps and senators though, why don't they offer to join back with Maryland?

283641[/snapback]

Maybe Republicans would feel better about DC Senators if Utah was split into North Utah and South Utah. That would even things out.

283641[/snapback]

That was already suggested, and for whatever reason died. I think it had to do with the fact that there "federal" subsidies and property tax payments would be based on assessed values and DC would actually receive a lot less now then they actually do.