House hunting advice

I would go with the fiver-uppper because I love to do that kind of stuff. I can hang drywall, hang wallpaper, lay tile etc. And love to paint. When it comes to remodeling, I usually take the lead.

BUT - if your wife doesn't know how or isn't much interested in that sort of thing - then it will all come down to you working nights and weekends and her nagging you to get it finished.

283079[/snapback]

SHE NAGS ME NOW!!! You mean to tell me there will be more??? :blink:

lol

We both can do plaster, painting. I can do some tiling and drywall. That's the extent of my skills.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say fixer up IF you enjoy working on things around your own house......

I bought a Cal Vet repo what.....6 years ago?  In Hemet.....agreement was to put a brand new roof on it and reinforce the back patio.....for 89K

Now...the house needed a lot of work.  Since that time quality new carpet throughout, pavers work all the way around the house, swimming pool, sodded front yard, new fence etc etc.....except for the carpet and swimming pool I did it myself along with some compadres or family.....

Estimated at 280K at the beginning of the year.....

282667[/snapback]

I like the work and look forward to it.

I guess "fixer-upper" is subjective. I mean it as a lot of TLC as they say. Nothing structural, like adding or removing entire walls. That stuff isn't on our radar.

SHE NAGS ME NOW!!!  You mean to tell me there will be more??? :blink:

lol

We both can do plaster, painting. I can do some tiling and drywall. That's the extent of my skills.

283296[/snapback]

My wife bought me the Time-Life books when we got married, every other month a new one came in, they were a godsend. Helped me with a lot of simple and more complex issues. I gave my set away to a freind, but they could probably be found in a bookstore or ebay. Great series of books.

My wife bought me the Time-Life books when we got married, every other month a new one came in, they were a godsend. Helped me with a lot of simple and more complex issues. I gave my set away to a freind, but they could probably be found in a bookstore or ebay. Great series of books.

283306[/snapback]

We've ordered some. Not the Time-Life ones, but some others.

I know my limitations though. In those books everything is neat and clean.

I replaced some of my parents light fixtures in their apt. I felt confident until I pulled the old ones off and voila the wires weren't colored! Well I figured it out and they've been working ever since.

I worked as a porter in a condo building during summers in college. So I got to do and learn some handy things. I'm one of those people who will try anything, but want to see it done right first (with my own eyes).

We'll see...