going to DC for a family trip

Agree with WWII Memorial...it is a must.

Also, go out of the way a little bit and go to Ford's Theatre. Always try to take folks there from outta town. The insides are pretty much the same the night old Abe took one in the noggin.

Skip lunch at the nearby Hard Rock and go to the Hill to the Tune Inn. Cheap food and drinks rule the day...it's not as much a dive as it use to be (no menus, no credit cards, National Bohemian ONLY on tap) but it's still a good time.

Also go accross the river and visit the USMC, or Iwo Jima, Memorial. I never tire of going there and the views of the city can't be beat.

Agree with WWII Memorial...it is a must.

Also, go out of the way a little bit and go to Ford's Theatre.  Always try to take folks there from outta town.  The insides are pretty much the same the night old Abe took one in the noggin.

Skip lunch at the nearby Hard Rock and go to the Hill to the Tune Inn.  Cheap food and drinks rule the day...it's not as much a dive as it use to be (no menus, no credit cards, National Bohemian ONLY on tap) but it's still a good time.

Also go accross the river and visit the USMC, or Iwo Jima, Memorial.  I never tire of going there and the views of the city can't be beat.

278227[/snapback]

Dam, I cannot believe the Tune Inn is still open. Lived in the district , Kalorama and Chevy Chase for 15 years before moving to Richmond, and haven't been to the Tune since at least 91. decent burgers there.

BTW, I always recommend picking up a Frommers or a Foddors and looking for some good walking tours. Someone else mentioned the bike tours, I have never done that but that sounds very cool.

BTW, there is a place in the Georgetown shops (at least there was two years ago) that serves all of Buffalo specialalties. It is a fast food type place . Never ate there, but if you jonesin for some beef on weck, you can get it there.

If you are looking for restaurants, post your price range and I can fill you in. Still eating in DC at least once a month. If you want to get some better ideas of the restuarnt scene, go the the washingtonpost.com and search for ASK TOM. Has great weekly online chats about various rest. in all price ranges. PLease , please stay away from Hard Rock and the likes. So many cool local places there for all price ranges.

If looking for a great place to have drinks at night, go the Hotel Washington roof deck. It is at the corner of 15th and Pennsylvania. Great views and cool place to hang out. However, do not, and I repeat, do not eat there.

Also, to me best rest. in DC to get some local flavor is a place called Cashions. In a neighborhood called Adams Morgan, lots of ethnic and cool places to go. Will give you a better feel for DC than just the tourist places. Average price here for a meal with an apertizer, entree and desert, with a cocktail and wine with dinner will be about $50 a head. Not to bad in DC.

PM if you want more info

There is a museum devoted to building construction near the MCI center that looked interesting. 

Also, right behind the MCI center, on the corner of 6th and H (I'm pretty sure) is CHINATOWN EXPRESS.  It's a little dump of a restaurant with a guy making noodles by hand in the window.  Have the dumplings!  They were the best I ever ate, and they are 10 for $4.95!  You can also get a 2lb lobster dinner there for $16.95.

Like I said, it's a hole in the wall, but the food is awesome.

PTR

277951[/snapback]

On the museuem front, stay away from the Natural History, can see that stuff anywhere. The National Building Museum is very cool. Holocaust is awesome, very moving, but you need to devote some time to it. I have been thrtee times and tend to stay close to 4 hrs each time. I have not done in quite some time, but the FBI used to give tours of its HQs. May have changed after 9-11, but like I said get a Frommers or Foddors, they have this info online as well, to get up to date info on tickets, best times to go etc.

i think i meant miles, not minutes...  oh well.  Anyways, that's what my sister told me.  I really could care less though, anything within a 3 hour drive for one of those subs is worth it.

277758[/snapback]

It won't be the drive, but maybe 3 hours to get into the lot! :doh: