assessing TD by position

Justice

The "whole picture" also includes a beating we took AT HOME to a team that rested most of its starters.  To say that everything was fine after going 0-4 is not realistic.  As I said many times before, even if we were to get into the playoffs by winning that game, our weaknesses were exposed.  I like the progress we made, but it wasn't enough.  We're on the right track, though.

278111[/snapback]

You took the words right out of my mouth!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "whole picture" also includes a beating we took AT HOME to a team that rested most of its starters.  To say that everything was fine after going 0-4 is not realistic.  As I said many times before, even if we were to get into the playoffs by winning that game, our weaknesses were exposed.  I like the progress we made, but it wasn't enough.  We're on the right track, though.

278111[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that game never happened, bro. The Jets and the Broncos both won, and they made the playoffs. Our team had a bye in week 17 and our playoff fate was out of our hands :doh:

No I'm not. I rather enjoy OT's when there isn't anything Bills related to talk about.

278116[/snapback]

Actually, "isn't anything Bills related" is a relative term (no pun intended). To some, 886 threads about the proposed Shelton trade, or Demulling, or what we can get from trading Travis Henry is okay because it's Bills related. To some, it's overkill.

I'm pretty sure that game never happened, bro. The Jets and the Broncos both won, and they made the playoffs. Our team had a bye in week 17 and our playoff fate was out of our hands  :doh:

278122[/snapback]

The Jets outcome was still in doubt during the Bills game, wasn't it?

I'm pretty sure that game never happened, bro. The Jets and the Broncos both won, and they made the playoffs. Our team had a bye in week 17 and our playoff fate was out of our hands  :doh:

278122[/snapback]

Oh. My mistake.

I wonder if I got a refund for the tickets I didn't pay for, the rental car I didn't purchase, the airfare I didn't need to pay for...

The Jets outcome was still in doubt during the Bills game, wasn't it?

278124[/snapback]

I don't know what Bills game you're talking about :)

Seriously, to me that was the worst part about playing all those crap teams during 'the streak'. Yeah, good teams beat teams they're supposed to beat. So from that perspective it was a good thing. But I think those teams were also a far cry from the Steelers, and we just weren't prepared for that caliber of team. Of course, there are some people on here (not sure who) that would tell you the outcome of the game would have been entirely different had another QB been playing for the Bills :doh:

Oh.  My mistake. 

I wonder if I got a refund for the tickets I didn't pay for, the rental car I didn't purchase, the airfare I didn't need to pay for...

278127[/snapback]

lmao........you should look into that, man.

See, that's were you got it wrong. In order to be the top dog GM you have to get some steals in the mid to late rounds of the draft. It shouldn't matter if it was high or low. this is based on the talent overall. I stress overall.

278063[/snapback]

What do you call Jonas Jennings, Ron Edwards, Kevin Thomas and Terrence McGee? All were found in later rounds.

Its almost like you're just staring at the drafts and judging without considering all the elements. Plus, you can't judge the last 2/3 drafts as they are still developing. Look at TD's 2001 draft for instance:

http://www.buffalobills.com/history/Draft2001.jsp

Seriously, to me that was the worst part about playing all those crap teams during 'the streak'. Yeah, good teams beat teams they're supposed to beat. So from that perspective it was a good thing. But I think those teams were also a far cry from the Steelers, and we just weren't prepared for that caliber of team. Of course, there are some people on here (not sure who) that would tell you the outcome of the game would have been entirely different had another QB been playing for the Bills  :doh:

278131[/snapback]

I think Drew really sh-- the bed in that game. Sometimes your QB need to pull a team out of a game like that, and Drew just didn't have the capability to do that. Hell, even Rob friggin Johnson put us in contention (minus one shoe) in the Tenny game.

What do you call Jonas Jennings, Ron Edwards, Kevin Thomas and Terrence McGee? All were found in later rounds.

Its almost like you're just staring at the drafts and judging without considering all the elements. Plus, you can't judge the last 2/3 drafts as they are still developing. Look at TD's 2001 draft for instance:

http://www.buffalobills.com/history/Draft2001.jsp

278136[/snapback]

Allof those guys contributed positively in their grades. We need more of them.

I think Drew really sh-- the bed in that game. Sometimes your QB need to pull a team out of a game like that, and Drew just didn't have the capability to do that. Hell, even Rob friggin Johnson put us in contention (minus one shoe) in the Tenny game.

278138[/snapback]

Damn! Is someone from this message board attempting to give Rob Johnson a tiny bit of credit for doing something positive for the Bills? No way.

Damn!  Is someone from this message board attempting to give Rob Johnson a tiny bit of credit for doing something positive for the Bills?  No way.

278146[/snapback]

Way!

278138[/snapback]

Exactly......to me, that was RJs shining moment/game as a bill. I definitely wouldn't want the guy back as our QB, but you can't argue with the fact that he showed some huge balls that game.

As for Bledsoe, I know the whole 'why the Bills lost to the Pitt JV' topic has been beaten to death, but you hit it on the head: Bledsoe's fatal flaw was his inability to do what even RJ proved capable of at times - taking the game on his shoulders. Bledsoe has not been a game changer (at least not in a POSITIVE way) for years. You've got to have a QB who can take charge of a game in doubt and get the job done.

QB

RJ over Flutie, then Drew and now JP and Holcomb.

Grade D-.

At least for now. JP can change all of that.

RB

TH and WM

Grade B+ and rising!

WR

Reed, Aiken, Smith, Shaw, Jett, Wright, Smith and Evans.

Grade D+

Evans stops this from being a F, but a otherwise weak group of receivers.

OL

MW, CV, TT, JJ, Ross Tucker, Lawrence Smith, Mike Pucillo, M. Price, Ben Sobieski and Dylan McFarland.

Grade C- and falling. JJ is gone and uncertainty at the LG and LT positions

TE

Mark Campbell, Euhus, Moore, Nuefeld

Grade D+

DL

Aaron Schobel, Sam Adams, Ryan Denney, Chris Kelsay, Justin Bannon Ron Edwards & Tim Anderson

Grade B-

LB

Spikes, Fletcher, Posey, Stamer, Crowell & Haggan

Grade A-

Arguably one of TD's strongest positions.

DB

Milloy, Clements, Vincent, McGee, Thomas, Baker, Greer, Wire, PP, Raion Hill

Grade B-

K

Lindell & Hollis

Grade D+

D+ thanks to Hollis

P

Moorman

A+

Overall Grade

C+

277221[/snapback]

I looked at your assessments and I find fault with a lot of what you have to say. Here is why. At each and every pick the Bills had, position and need were dictated by either getting out of cap hell or fill gaping holes created by retirements, injury, or as GW use to say wrong type of player for his scheme. A lot of the players you listed where the best of the options that was available at the time. Remember picking players in the draft is part skill, part art and part luck. It is impossible to know if a collage player that has potential to make it in the NFL will in fact be a success. There are to many intangibles that goes into finding a player that make it in the league much less be a super star, which seems to be your criteria for success.

The only problem I have with TD picks has been his head coaching pick of GW. But again I think he did not have much to go with at the time but needed a change, and Greg seemed to have a plan for success. Alas, he will only prove to be a competent as an assistant coach. Of course you don’t know until you place the person in the position and roll the dice.

Here is why I think TD is a good GM.

1. He got us out of cap hell and the QB controversy that divided the Bills and this board

2. When RJ proved he was not the right fit, moved on and brought in DB.

3. Fielded a team that has showed improvement every year (IMHO)

4. When DB proved he was not the right fit moved on…

Will TD get us to a Super bowl? I don not know. But I think he will put us in a position to get there. :doh:

I looked at your assessments and I find fault with a lot of what you have to say. Here is why. At each and every pick the Bills had, position and need were dictated by either getting out of cap hell or fill gaping holes created by retirements, injury, or as GW use to say wrong type of player for his scheme. A lot of the players you listed where the best of the options that was available at the time. Remember picking players in the draft is part skill, part art and part luck. It is impossible to know if a collage player that has potential to make it in the NFL will in fact be a success. There are to many intangibles that goes into finding a player that make it in the league much less be a super star, which seems to be your criteria for success.

The only problem I have with TD picks has been his head coaching pick of GW. But again I think he did not have much to go with at the time but needed a change, and Greg seemed to have a plan for success. Alas, he will only prove to be a competent as an assistant coach. Of course you don’t know until you place the person in the position and roll the dice.

Here is why I think TD is a good GM.

1. He got us out of cap hell and the QB controversy that divided the Bills and this board

2. When RJ proved he was not the right fit, moved on and brought in DB.

3. Fielded a team that has showed improvement every year (IMHO)

4. When DB proved he was not the right fit moved on…

Will TD get us to a Super bowl? I don not know. But I think he will put us in a position to get there.  :w00t:

278215[/snapback]

1. true

2. true

3. 3-13, 8-8, 6-10 and 9-7 [8-8 to 6-10 isn't improvement]