Bills OL

The Mularkey O-Line strategy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm seeing a difference under Mularkey in terms of how the Bills ask their linemen to do. Unlike the previous offensive schemes where quick release from the line is of utmost importance, now the TEs, backs, even receivers are asked to help out our tackles by chipping at DEs or rushing LBs on their way out. This is really one of the "secrets" of the success of the Steelers O-Line over the years - they draft run dominating guys and use a variety of helping out techniques by design to get through the pass protection.

You don't often see the Steelers having a dominating, premier OT in Pro-ball. But they regularly send interior lineman to Hawaii.

Under this scheme, the interior linemen are asked to held on their own, and be able to push the pocket whereas the tackles often get help. I noticed one time even Moulds, lined up in the slot, chipped Jason Taylor on his way out to a route.

With this in mind, I see the Bills play more emphasis on getting a quality LG in free agency and may not mind moving Teague back to tackle again if they can find someone with more bulk at center.

You guys know my position on Teague. He's doing OK at center, but not where we need to be for a power running team, especially against a 3-4 defense where a nose tackle lined up directly across from him. I think the statistics speaks for itself: the Bills lost every game against a 3-4 defense last year. Teague could not control the nose tackle on running plays, and often had to reset to react to the bull rushing of the nose tackle while losing a couple of steps backwards on passing plays. Against 4-3 defense, he did much better, even accomplished some of the more difficult tasks such as snap the ball and pull outside of the tackles.

I don't know what his problem is. He's at adequate weight around 300 lb. Maybe he's just not a very strong dude, especially at lower body (could be very true because he's very agile and mobile - guys not known for strong lower body).

At tackle, I see him handling speed rushers and inside/outside moves very well. May have troubles against bull rushers and we can use someone else to bump or chip to knock the bull rusher out of balance a bit to help out. Against those who is strong and fast rushers a.k.a Bruce Smith type ... well, no matter who you put out there, you will have trouble. That's when double teams are called for.

I'd rather get a better center in FA and use Bannan, Gandy, or even Tucker at LG. I think that's the plan with DeMulling. As for chipping DE's or LB's, I've been wondering for years (in the past) why the Bills didn't do that more. I guess that's what having an offensive staff with a clue will do for you.

the Bills lost every game against a 3-4 defense last year.

While this is true, the bigger problem was the statue in the pocket. Losman will be able to break plays better, and (IMHO) throw to the WR's and TE's over the LB's better.

While this is true, the bigger problem was the statue in the pocket.  Losman will be able to break plays better, and (IMHO) throw to the WR's and TE's over the LB's better.

273149[/snapback]

Yeah, he will definitely be able to turn those 8 yard losses into 3 yard losses. I can't wait.

This isn't Michael Vick we are talking about. We need a line no matter who is the QB and frankly, with a virtual rookie behind center, that is as true this year as in any other. No one has yet invented an offensive scheme or system that does not need effective blocking to work. That has been true since the days of Amos Alonzo Stagg and it is still the truth today. No doubt JP will make some plays on occasion in the face of poor blocking but that will be the exception, not the rule. You don't base an entire offense on the QB pulling rabbits out of his helmet.

A wee bit of an example: When OJ first came to Buffalo we had a lousy offensive line. Saban came in and built the team around OJ, starting with the line which is why we had a converted tackle at TE, Paul Seymour. The result was that OJ, as good as he was, was ordinary when are line was bad and when it was good, he became the best there was. No matter how great your skill guys, you have to have a quality line to win in the NFL.

Wasn't it Bill B. of the Patriots, he of the three SB rings who said of our offense: "... that line is for sh*t...?" What does he know, right?

Guest BackInDaDay
The Mularkey O-Line strategy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm seeing a difference under Mularkey in terms of how the Bills ask their linemen to do. Unlike the previous offensive schemes where quick release from the line is of utmost importance, now the TEs, backs, even receivers are asked to help out our tackles by chipping at DEs or rushing LBs on their way out. This is really one of the "secrets" of the success of the Steelers O-Line over the years - they draft run dominating guys and use a variety of helping out techniques by design to get through the pass protection.

You don't often see the Steelers having a dominating, premier OT in Pro-ball. But they regularly send interior lineman to Hawaii.

Under this scheme, the interior linemen are asked to held on their own, and be able to push the pocket whereas the tackles often get help. I noticed one time even Moulds, lined up in the slot, chipped Jason Taylor on his way out to a route.

With this in mind, I see the Bills play more emphasis on getting a quality LG in free agency and may not mind moving Teague back to tackle again if they can find someone with more bulk at center.

You guys know my position on Teague. He's doing OK at center, but not where we need to be for a power running team, especially against a 3-4 defense where a nose tackle lined up directly across from him. I think the statistics speaks for itself: the Bills lost every game against a 3-4 defense last year. Teague could not control the nose tackle on running plays, and often had to reset to react to the bull rushing of the nose tackle while losing a couple of steps backwards on passing plays. Against 4-3 defense, he did much better, even accomplished some of the more difficult tasks such as snap the ball and pull outside of the tackles.

I don't know what his problem is. He's at adequate weight around 300 lb. Maybe he's just not a very strong dude, especially at lower body (could be very true because he's very agile and mobile - guys not known for strong lower body).

At tackle, I see him handling speed rushers and inside/outside moves very well. May have troubles against bull rushers and we can use someone else to bump or chip to knock the bull rusher out of balance a bit to help out. Against those who is strong and fast rushers a.k.a Bruce Smith type ... well, no matter who you put out there, you will have trouble. That's when double teams are called for.

273053[/snapback]

Good observation, SH.

What you're seeing is our new coaching staffs commitment to their O philosophy of ball-control. Each man on the field has a responsibility to making it work. Crack-backs by wide-outs, chipping (hit and runs 0:) ) TEs and RBs, isos on LBs by our FB, all of it is directed at getting our ball-carriers that split second they need to find daylight. I'm sure McNally will employ similar techniques in our pass-protection schemes to allow JP that split second extra to get through his reads and progressions.

Who wouldn't like the matchup of a 300lb LT against a 270lb DE on rushes, considering the 'help' we're discussing?

My problem is that it may be too easy to get our LT on an island during pass-protection. Good D coordinators will find ways to occupy our LG inside, leaving a lighter LT susceptible to a quick, strong inside move by the DE. So, I'd rather have a larger, agile LT with a right-handed QB. Maybe McNally can make one in the lab. :P