Q for the College Gurus: College record of 2 guys now in the league

Hapless Bills Fan

When I did my QB draft result hashup a bit ago, most of the names that scored2 "Yes" by my criteria were the guys you'd expect: Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Luck, Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Rivers, Palmer, Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brees, Wilson etc.  (That's no surprise: if my criteria hadn't selected those, they'd be poor criteria and I'dve looked for better)

There were two names of late-round QB that I didn't expect, though:

AJ McCarron, drafted in the 5th round in 2014 (I know some folks here have been following him)

Cody Kessler, drafted in the 3rd round in 2016 by the Browns. 

Kessler popped up with a 63.8% completion percentage, 6.9 YPA, and TD/INT 2.0 in.  Looking under the hood, in 8 losses for the miserable 1-15 Browns his rookie year, he played respectably, even well at times - 6 TD, 2 INT, >65% completions, 7.1 YPA - a couple of low passing games, but also >300 yards in one game and respectable totals in a couple of others.

Can anyone give me some gouge about Kessler in college?  What kind of offense did he play in?  if you watched either of them play, what was your impression?  The scouting reports I found on Kessler said he "fell off" in 2015 from 2014 and that's why he fell in the draft.  Also, he's short (6'1").  He seems to have fallen to #3 on the Browns depth chart behind Kizer and Kevin Hogan (drafted in 2016 and signed from KC), who judging by his results does not interest me.  Ordinarily, that would be a Bad Sign, but this IS the Browns. 

I would expect the Browns to cut him lose assuming they're not "all in" with Kiser and they seize the opportunity to draft a QB high.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When I did my QB draft result hashup a bit ago, most of the names that scored2 "Yes" by my criteria were the guys you'd expect: Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Luck, Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Rivers, Palmer, Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brees, Wilson etc.  (That's no surprise: if my criteria hadn't selected those, they'd be poor criteria and I'dve looked for better)

There were two names of late-round QB that I didn't expect, though:

AJ McCarron, drafted in the 5th round in 2014 (I know some folks here have been following him)

Cody Kessler, drafted in the 3rd round in 2016 by the Browns. 

Kessler popped up with a 63.8% completion percentage, 6.9 YPA, and TD/INT 2.0 in.  Looking under the hood, in 8 losses for the miserable 1-15 Browns his rookie year, he played respectably, even well at times - 6 TD, 2 INT, >65% completions, 7.1 YPA - a couple of low passing games, but also >300 yards in one game and respectable totals in a couple of others.

Can anyone give me some gouge about Kessler in college?  What kind of offense did he play in?  if you watched either of them play, what was your impression?  The scouting reports I found on Kessler said he "fell off" in 2015 from 2014 and that's why he fell in the draft.  Also, he's short (6'1").  He seems to have fallen to #3 on the Browns depth chart behind Kizer and Kevin Hogan (drafted in 2016 and signed from KC), who judging by his results does not interest me.  Ordinarily, that would be a Bad Sign, but this IS the Browns. 

I would expect the Browns to cut him lose assuming they're not "all in" with Kiser and they seize the opportunity to draft a QB high.

Kessler played in a pro styled offense at USC...

hes got pretty good accuracy but not that strong of an arm. He's also not the greatest athlete so he's a short pocket passer.

Hed would be pretty good in a dome 

comaprison- chase Daniels 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Kessler played in a pro styled offense at USC...

hes got pretty good accuracy but not that strong of an arm. He's also not the greatest athlete so he's a short pocket passer.

Hed would be pretty good in a dome 

comparison- chase Daniels 

Thanks 716!

Essentially what I'm interpreting here is career backup, and B'lo probably not the right place for the guy

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks 716!

Essentially what I'm interpreting here is career backup, and B'lo probably not the right place for the guy

Could maybe even start for the right team 

but yea Buffalo probably isn't the best for him...

Daniels was going to start in Philly as the bridge even after they drafted Wentz But Wentz was too good to keep off the field 

Kessler may develop like Daniels and be around for a decade +

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.