If we get Shelton/Demulling would you trade for..

Hypothetically speaking if we can swing the deal for LJ Shelton, and sign demulling. Would you trade our 2nd rd pick for Saints de Darren Howard?

Saints | Seeking Second Rounder for Howard - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:33:11 -0800

Updating a previous report, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports it is believed the New Orleans Saints are seeking a second-round draft choice in exchange for "franchise" player DE Darren Howard this offseason.

Howards Stats

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

2000 New Orleans Saints 16 51 36.0 15 11 1 46 46.0 46 0 6

2001 New Orleans Saints 16 53 35.0 18 6 1 37 37.0 37 0 3

2002 New Orleans Saints 16 47 34.0 13 8 0 0 0.0 0 0 3

2003 New Orleans Saints 8 29 27.0 2 5 0 0 0.0 0 0 4

2004 New Orleans Saints 13 46 36.0 10 11 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

TOTAL 69 226 168.0 58 41 2 83 41.5 46 0 17

I think if we can get shelton/demulling we'll be able to address oline depth later in the draft and would have no problem with doing a deal for howard, as he'd be an imediate impact and give us a pass rushing de that we need good for 8-10 sacks a year.

I personally would not, because I think our DEs are just fine, and ready to improve. They are also cap friendly. Imo, Schobel came at a bargain price, and the signing was a TD masterpiece.

If he was a ufa this season, there is little to make me think he would not have fetched a 35 million dollar contract.

I would say not. Howard is good and a steady producer, but he doesnt produce much more than Schobel and some people around here dont even lke AS that much.

I think Kelsay will develop into a solid player anyhow.

Plus I think Howard may have had some injury history.

Am I the only one that thinks that our DEs are underwhelming at best?

I'm not going to judge them on a Bruce Smith standard, but it would be nice to generate a pass rush from the edge that doesn't come in garbage time and against decent OLs.

Whether Howard is the right answer, I don't know. He seems to have come back nicely from the injury in 2003. But I would definitely rank him above any of our DEs.

See my first post in thread. Schobel is a nice player, but after 4 years, he's still not the all around end Hansen was.

267164[/snapback]

I would say that is a questionable statement.

In fact, you may be having delusions of grandeur. Plus schobel has never played opposite a Bruce smith.

Check Hanson's career stat line.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3577

Am I the only one that thinks that our DEs are underwhelming at best?

267162[/snapback]

While de isn't as much of a glaring need as our oline is. De is the biggest need on defense. Like you said I'm not gonna hold any de up to a bruce smith standard, but it would be nice to bring in a guy who can provide some consistent pressure.

For now though I guess we wait and see how kelsay develops. Schobel is solid, but seems to have 1 big game than dissapears for weeks at a time. Denney provides good depth and is solid against the run. Kelsay I don't really have my finger on yet. He makes plays every now and than but in the mold of schobel few and far between.

Anyone know what kind of contract Howard has? That'd be the big thing for me. If it were fairly cap friendly, then why not? D-line depth is great to have. As far as trading the draft pick, I'm a big fan of trading shots in the dark for proven commodities.

In fact, you may be having delusions of grandeur.  Plus schobel has never played opposite a Bruce smith.

267169[/snapback]

Delusions or disagreement?

If you think that Schobel holds the point of attack or plays the run as well as Hansen then I want the name of your shroom dealer.

I agree that Hansen had the advantage of playing with BSmith, but he's still the more complete end.

If you want to argue which one perfected the 'loop de loop' move or who I'd most want on the field netting 3 sacks versus an anemic opponent, then Schobel gets the nod.

Hypothetically speaking if we can swing the deal for LJ Shelton, and sign demulling. Would you trade our 2nd rd pick for Saints de Darren Howard?

Saints | Seeking Second Rounder for Howard - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:33:11 -0800

Updating a previous report, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports it is believed the New Orleans Saints are seeking a second-round draft choice in exchange for "franchise" player DE Darren Howard this offseason.

Howards Stats

I like Howard as much as anyone on this board but I would not make the trade because of the cap implication though in terms of value I would make the trade in a heartbeat. As Howard is one of the better pass rushers in the league and think he has the size to play at LDE although he's played RDE most of his career.

In fact, you may be having delusions of grandeur.  Plus schobel has never played opposite a Bruce smith.

267169[/snapback]

I was going to use Hansen as an example, as well.

Lets do an apples to apples comparison:

Hansen

Schobel

When Schobel can consistently get to 60 solo tackles, we can compare him to Hansen.